freeze after incomming call and crash on older devices

dalnokidalnoki Member Posts: 27
edited November -1 in Tech Support
I'm a pro user. My updated games are freeze after incomming call and very slow/crash on older devices(3G). I'm not choosed the resolution independent option, but w. 0.9.2 was good. Now my apps get one star reviews on iTunes, because the crash:(

Comments

• jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408
  • gurechangurechan Member, PRO Posts: 211
    Is the incoming call issue on the app store version, or the ad-hoc version? What version of GS are you using?

I found the same incoming call issue after the 0.9.3 up-date, but others here tell me it only effects the ad-hoc version, and not games published to the app store.
  • SAZ_1SAZ_1 Member Posts: 397
    the problem affects all versions as far as im aware...theres nothing we can do about it they haven't fixed it yet in 0.9.4 .. someone correct me if im wrong??
  • SAZ_1SAZ_1 Member Posts: 397
    actually gurechan could you confirm this because i have an update lined up not sure if it will correct the problem or not though?
    I don't know for sure, as I haven't tested it with an app published to the app store. All I know for sure is that ad-hoc versions for testing have this problem.

Other people here have said that it doesn't affect the version published to the app store, ie: distribute version. So I can only assume that is correct as personally I haven't tested it yet.

Would be good to get some input from others who have published a game to the app store with 0.9.3 or later and see if this issue exists for them. I've been told through this forum that a number of games published from these versions are OK though.
  • dalnokidalnoki Member Posts: 27
    My apps submitted to the appstore, accepted, published and now freeze after incomming calls and run slow on older devices.
    That's not good to hear. I had this issue with an ad-hoc test version since the release of 0.9.3, and have not heard of a fix yet. I ended up going back to 0.9.2 to finish my game and publish it. This version has no such issue.

Others on the forum have stated that their games published with the last 2 versions have not had this issue. I don't know any more about it than that. Maybe there is a bug related to a certain type of attribute use which is causing it to freeze, so it only affects some games and not others?

What is your game? Can you post a link?

I would also submit a bug report with as much info as you can. Hopefully it will get sorted in the next release.
    Yep, it freezes on incoming call. I would contact support directly. I have done so a few times, but don't have any answer on a fix for it.
  • gamesmoldgamesmold Member, PRO Posts: 279
    Yes, unfortunately it's NOT only on Ad-Hoc builds. If you want to test it, get d-capitatrix for the iphone and ring yourself. It freezes and never comes back.
    I have read Quantumsheeps post concerning this in another thread, but unfortunately I have to disagree. My 0.9.3 distribution build freezes and all game progress is lost, on any call. No matter how long I'm waiting.
    As I said, who doesn't believe it, just get the app on the store and try it out...
    Hope this gets fixed very soon. This is probably the most critical GS bug at the moment.
  • quantumsheepquantumsheep Member Posts: 8,188
    gamesmold said:
    Yes, unfortunately it's NOT only on Ad-Hoc builds. If you want to test it, get d-capitatrix for the iphone and ring yourself. It freezes and never comes back.
    I have read Quantumsheeps post concerning this in another thread, but unfortunately I have to disagree. My 0.9.3 distribution build freezes and all game progress is lost, on any call. No matter how long I'm waiting.
    As I said, who doesn't believe it, just get the app on the store and try it out...
    Hope this gets fixed very soon. This is probably the most critical GS bug at the moment.

I get what you're saying.

But I have to ask - if two games, both with GameCentre (so very recent builds), are working absolutely 100% fine for me when I call myself, then it's a very odd bug, isn't it?

I mean, how do you track down a bug that works fine for some games and not for others? We all use the same software, yet for some games it's fine, and apparently for others it isn't.

QS

Dr. Sam Beckett never returned home...
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Quantum_Sheep
    Web: https://quantumsheep.itch.io

At least others are now seeing this, and not just me. I've been shot down by some regarding this issue. If it works for some but fails on others, then there may be a bug related to a specific attribute used in the game or scene. Could be hard to find. Would be good to hear from GS guys as to whether they have at least found the cause so we can just wait for the next release.
    Hi QS, I've just send you a PM on this with a promo code, so you can try it out on your phone.
    It's built with 0.9.3., I can constantly reproduce the freezing on a 3GS.

Please don't get me wrong, I'll just wait and see, I am really relaxed on this. The dishdogs emailed me that this is a known issue and that they will take care of it with the next version.

But I would really like to hear if other people also have this issue with my game, as at the moment I'm just holding it back and not sending it out to reviewer sites or so.
  • AmrEl-HagryAmrEl-Hagry Member Posts: 29
    It also happened to me. I used ITouch 1G, however it crashes and return to home screen. I reported the problem to GameSalad devs.
    Hi QS, I've just bought Air Supply on my 3GS and tried it out.
    I rang myself, rejected the call, got back but the game stayed frozen. Actually, it still is.
    So probably it's only on 3GS and earlier devices?
    Did you try it on an iPhone 4?

By the way, it really plays great! I love the 1 bit attitude. Great idea and great game! And a good example of how to use Gamecenter right.
  • AmrEl-HagryAmrEl-Hagry Member Posts: 29
    No i didnt, but i assume it will work fine on new devices.
  • quantumsheepquantumsheep Member Posts: 8,188
    gamesmold said:
    Hi QS, I've just bought Air Supply on my 3GS and tried it out.
    I rang myself, rejected the call, got back but the game stayed frozen. Actually, it still is.
    So probably it's only on 3GS and earlier devices?
    Did you try it on an iPhone 4?

By the way, it really plays great! I love the 1 bit attitude. Great idea and great game! And a good example of how to use Gamecenter right.

Thanks for the PM and the kind words about my game! Glad you liked it!

Now this is where it gets ever weirder. I have a 3GS also - it's what I did my test on - and it works 100% fine.

It obviously isn't on your phone! Did you try exiting the game then tapping the icon again to get it back to where it was?

Perhaps it's the OS version? I'm still running an older version (4.3.2) - can I ask what version you've got on your 3GS?

Cheers,

QS :D

Dr. Sam Beckett never returned home...
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Quantum_Sheep
    Web: https://quantumsheep.itch.io

quantumsheep said:
    Thanks for the PM and the kind words about my game! Glad you liked it!

You're very welcome, and your success is well deserved. This is one great example of what you can do with GS.
    quantumsheep said:
    Did you try exiting the game then tapping the icon again to get it back to where it was?

Yes, I did. I tried going back and forth between the OS layer and when I got back to the game via the task bar, it was still in the frozen state.
    quantumsheep said:
    Perhaps it's the OS version? I'm still running an older version (4.3.2) - can I ask what version you've got on your 3GS?

Maybe this is it: I'm running 4.1 ! Never upgraded after that so I can still simulate a "worst case" early Gamecenter device.
    I have an iPhone 4 with latest OS, and my ad-hoc tests freeze, so too does dalnoki's Alcohol Heros game.

I have tried QS's Air Supply game, and this did not freeze.

I have an old iPhone 3G too, so will try it out on that later.
    Gamesmold, I have just tried your d-capitatrix game on my iPhone 4 and it freezes on incoming call and will not restart.

I just realised I don't have a sim for my iPhone 3G as the iPhone 4 uses a micro sim. So I can't test QS's air supply game on incoming call.
  • dalnokidalnoki Member Posts: 27
    quantumsheep can you try my game on your phone?

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/alcohol-heroes-free/id434226203?mt=8#

THX.