9.4 GS Viewer Crashing

DizkoDizko Member Posts: 498
edited November -1 in Tech Support
Hello,

I've installed the new viewer for 9.4 and the game loads up well enough, but when I get into the levels (more complicated scenes) the viewer just dumps out on me.

Is this been a common problem or is it just me? Solution?

I'm going to rebuild the viewer in the morning and see if that helps.

EDIT: Also, I noticed that the export to the viewer is significantly faster than before.

Comments

• JamwithnoJamwithno Member Posts: 312
    I have not run into any thing that this. But it might be a regular bug IDK?
  • DizkoDizko Member Posts: 498
    It was fine in 9.3 and haven't touched my project since 9.4 dropped, and now with the new viewer I'm getting issues.

Like I said, I still need to rebuild the viewer and see if that fixes it. Until then, maybe someone knows something I don't.
  • gamesmoldgamesmold Member, PRO Posts: 279
    Hi Dizko,

did you - at any time of your creation process - merge scenes from other GS projects?
    Yesterday, I ran into the same problem, and it even had my creator crash on the Mac. It was caused by "New Actors" that had no prototype in the project, but were created when you pulled a scene over from another project. If one of those actors is present in a scene and you change to another scene, the 0.9.4 viewer as well as the 0.9.4 creator will crash.

In that case, you have to delete these "New Actors" from the scene and replace them by actors that actually exist as a prototype in your project.

Hope this helps!
    Thomas
    Yea sorry TSB, I didn't see your first comment until after I posted my 2nd. I'll check for blank rules.

Thanks for the help guys!
    Ok so I did some sniffing and it appears to me that everything is in order. I don't see any missing rules or anything like that. I also looked for what Gamesmold was talking about despite the fact that I hadn't merged files, but I looked just in case. Have the latest version of Xcode already.

I also rebuilt and installed the latest view.

Unfortunately it crashes still. I'm going to double check, but I don't see anything wrong with the rules.

Let me ask the stupid question, am I supposed to make a new provision profile everytime we update the viewer? I did it for 0.9.3 only because it was expiring anyway, I didn't do it this time.

EDIT: everything works like a dream in the normal preview, it just goes bad in the device viewer. I'm also planning to try and ad-hoc build.
    So it's not the viewer, it's definitely my game. Ad-hoc crashes as well.

This is where debugging tools would be handy... is there anything that would be considered common offenders?
  • MichaelRandoMichaelRando Member Posts: 16
    Something like this (gameproj crashes viewer & adhoc) is a good case for sending us your file so we can prevent the crash in a future build.

As far as knowing which part of it is broken, trial and error with removing game components is the best option. Behaviors may be toggled off now, that can help speed process.
    Ok, sending file over now.
    I also tried an older backup file to see if it was something I might have done, still doesn't work. I sent in the proj files.
    After like 3 hours of searching, I've narrowed the problem down to a constraint on a self.attribute

I changed that to a game.attribute and it works like a charm.