Actor instance won't change visibility

MrshoestoreMrshoestore Member Posts: 181
edited November -1 in Tech Support
I have actors that the prototype has "visible" unchecked, but a few instances set with "visible" checked. This works like it it's supposed to for most of my scenes, but now when I try to do it the instance remains invisible.

I was hoping this was a bug with .9.3 that would be fixed, but sadly it's still not working... any ideas?

Comments

• gyroscopegyroscope I am here.Member, Sous Chef, PRO Posts: 6,598
    Eek, hope it's not a bug... have you maybe inadvertently made the Alpha in the Instances to 0? Fingers crossed it's just that...

""You are in a maze of twisty passages, all alike." - Zork        temp domain http://spidergriffin.wix.com/alphaghostapps

• DrGlickertDrGlickert Member Posts: 1,135
    I have this problem too.

I have a custom font that displays the player's lives.

I have a rule; when game.liveschanged = 1
    Change Attribute self.image to floor((game.lives%self.Div)/(self.Div/10)..".png"

When the level starts the actor turns into a white square... Any ideas?
  • MrshoestoreMrshoestore Member Posts: 181
    No, it's not that. And it's not just one actor... If I try to change the instance of others it still won't go visible (yet any behaviors or rules I put on it work fine)... and it's not like the ones I did before that were visible disappeared either... they're still fine.
    I fixed it, I needed another ) in there after the /10
    Sorry to invade you're post Mrshoestore
    Ahh,,, I hate when that happens! congratuwelldone :) if only I could fix my problem with a ")".
  • tenrdrmertenrdrmer Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 9,934
    are you unchecking the visible attribute or trying to change the attribute with a change attribute behavior? If yes thats not an attribute you can change in the game. I don't think thats your issue I just wanted to make sure that was clear.

I'm also curious why you wouldn't just set non visible in the prototype. If its really unchecked in the instance and still visible then you need to send that to GameSalad as a bug report cause I could see that causing problems for ppl down the road.
    tenrdrmer said:
    are you unchecking the visible attribute or trying to change the attribute with a change attribute behavior? If yes thats not an attribute you can change in the game. I don't think thats your issue I just wanted to make sure that was clear.

I'm also curious why you wouldn't just set non visible in the prototype. If its really unchecked in the instance and still visible then you need to send that to GameSalad as a bug report cause I could see that causing problems for ppl down the road.

I am just unchecking the visible attribute, not doing a behavior to do it. And the prototype IS non-visible, as most instances need to be that, but a few instances need to be visible (so it's set up the reverse of what you're thinking, but that would be the same problem anyway.)

I guess I'll send a Bug Report to GameSalad then.
  • tenrdrmertenrdrmer Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 9,934
    Yeah that sounds like its not good. Now im trying to think through my projects and see if there is anything in the same boat.
    ...I fixed it.

As I was typing up the message to GS and thinking about how it worked for the other scenes that there must have been something different between the scenes. My actor instances layers went into a non-scrollable layer set instead of a scrollable one, causing them to not appear when in preview.

Strangely enough though, the actors were there in the game, performing their behaviors properly, you just couldn't see them.

Sorry to be a bother... 9 times out of 10 my problems are my fault... but this time I thought it was a 1 out of ten!

thanks for the help everyone!