New to mac / game salad

starcatstarcat Member Posts: 107
edited November -1 in Tech Support
hey, im not sure where this goes but i've decided to take the plunge and try my hand at making games with game salad.. i found out you cant do it with a pc so i HAVE to get a mac..

only question is what mac do i get? they are SO EXPENSIVE.. why?

anyway i could get an IMAC or macbook pro or macbook air.. i have no idea what the difference is aside from one is mobile.

any suggestions on what i can get thats cheap but still works? im not spending more than 1000 bucks thats out of the question.

my second question is i think the developer thing is 99 dollars a year for apple.. thats fine. but what about X-code? i dont know how this all works .. i hear you dont need programming knowledge to use GS,but then what is x-code?

any help would be appriciated.

Comments

• jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408
    Any mac will do. I developed on a $300 intel white macbook I got off of eBay for 6 mths. Just maxed the ram and it was good to go.

And why are macs expensive? You could say the same thing about Lexus or mercedes. :) you don't compare those to kias, so don't compare macs to low end pcs.
  • starcatstarcat Member Posts: 107
    i dont really know anything about macs so i wouldnt know how to upgrade the ram.. can you point me to a couple of good examples on ebay around the 3-500 dollar ranage?
    oo yer the guy who made z is for zombie. nice :) i saw that game and i was like wow i would totally buy that.

ill tell you what.. i have some stuff you might need or want. ill contact you on youtube.
  • MammothMammoth Member Posts: 640
    I was in the same boat, just get a mac mini ;)
    a mac mini doesnt have anything ..isnt it just a hard drive?

no monitor or keyboard or mouse or anything.
  • scitunesscitunes Member, Sous Chef Posts: 4,047
    starcat said:
    a mac mini doesnt have anything ..isnt it just a hard drive?

no monitor or keyboard or mouse or anything.

It is a fully working computer, but you need the peripherals. It's a great option if you have a mouse, keyboard, and monitor from another PC.
    ok, so i guess my question is, does it require a MAC mouse or MAC monitor? or can i use my PC stuff with the mac computer? or do i need some kind of converter crap that will no doubt cost me 99 dollars each? and im trying to find the info on my own.. but apperantly no one has seen fit to document this particular issue.
  • PhoticsPhotics Member Posts: 4,172
  • MammothMammoth Member Posts: 640
    What I do is switch my monitors with a KVM switch. It works great :)
  • PhoticsPhotics Member Posts: 4,172
    Mammoth said:
    What I do is switch my monitors with a KVM switch. It works great :)

I have a KVM switch too, but it got annoying quick.
    Now my PC just stays off. HA HA :)
    well i run a bunch of different companies from my PC so theres no way i could abandon my PC.. i play games for a living too so i could probably just use my 15 inch monitor.. i have a 42 inch for my main so im gona go down to the mac store. thanks photics
  • osucowboy18osucowboy18 Member Posts: 1,307
    Hey there,

I bought a mac mini about a year ago to make iOS games with GameSalad, and I absolutely love it! It takes up almost no space, and it just sits on top of my Windows computer. I am now selling it to upgrade to a laptop because I just started my own company and I do a lot of traveling. The Mac Mini I am selling is the previous generation Mac Mini and has 160 GB hard drive (plenty of space for everything GS related), and a 2.26 GHz Core 2 Duo Processor with 2 GB of RAM, which runs GameSalad incredibly fast. Even though it is about a year old, it is as good as new. In fact, it has never left my desk :) I am asking $500 for it, but the price is negotiable. I accept PayPal and will ship it for free if you are in the continental United States. Email me at sales@pdlproductions.com if your interested! Thanks.

- Alex
    _________________________________________________________________________________

PDL Productions

Vertical/Horizontal Level Select Template
    Mac Mini For SALE!!!
    thats some bad business negotiating skills you have if you just told me the price is 500 but its not really :)
  • osucowboy18osucowboy18 Member Posts: 1,307
    @starcat: Thanks for the feedback, are you interested?

- Alex
    _________________________________________________________________________________

PDL Productions

Vertical/Horizontal Level Select Template
    Mac Mini For SALE!!!
  • scribblstudiosscribblstudios Member Posts: 118
    I would get a mac mini, and as to why macs are expensive, its because they are so much better than pcs!