Solution to Project Not Opening

SoftboySoftboy Member, PRO Posts: 43
edited November -1 in Tech Support
I just downloaded the new updates yesterday from gamesalad, and after using it once I suddenly cant open my project file which I have been working on nonstop for 2 weeks.

What is going on?

I can see the file and it seems to be there, but it just doesnt open up.

What can I do?

HELP IS NEEDED!

Comments

• steve86steve86 Member Posts: 806
    Hope this helps.
    tshirtbooth said:
    TRY THIS. they guys at GS had me do it and it worked for me.

right click on your project file, View package content, and rename the .guser file to test.guser

then try and open it.

please back up your game b4 doing this.

cheers

• SoftboySoftboy Member, PRO Posts: 43
    WOW!!!! You saved my day completely!!! I am so grateful!! Thank you SO MUCH mate!!!!! :-)
  • SoftboySoftboy Member, PRO Posts: 43
    By the way... Do you know why this happens and what I should look out for in the future?
  • steve86steve86 Member Posts: 806
    No prob.. It gave quite a scare to all of us yesterday.. Its a bug of the new release they are working on it. We should have a patch to fix this in no time.
  • KEE4KEE4 www.chriskieffer.com Los AngelesMember Posts: 65
    This just happened to me too. Thanks! steve86 and tshirtbooth.
  • YodapolloYodapollo Inactive, Chef Emeritus Posts: 447
    Hey, everybody!

I know people are having some issues with old projects and with assets not showing up. Our devs are working hard at fixing sourcing and fixing these issues.

We've sourced the issue with some old projects not opening. We currently have a work around for that one, until our fix is complete:

0.9.2 Project Not Opening Work Around:

1) Right-click on the corrupted .gameproj file and go to 'Show Package Contents'
    2) Look at the .gsuser file. You'll need to rename or delete that file (we suggest you just rename it — for example: test.gsuser)
    3) Run the project again

If the above work around does not alleviate the problem, please submit an official bug report through our web contact form.

Also, if you'd like to help us track this stuff down even faster, please send test cases and 0.9.2 files you've had issues with to Bugs at GameSalad dot com.

Thanks, everyone for your patience and help as we push through these fixes.

--Yodapollo
  • gamedivisiongamedivision Member Posts: 807
    game salad just crashed, ohh well back to saving every other minute,
  • NesesitaGamesNesesitaGames Member Posts: 160
    The fix works, but it still keeps happening to me. Looking forward to a proper fix :)
  • zapposhzapposh Member Posts: 65
    Same problems here. Really got a big fright because after every crash (and it does crash all the time compared to version 9.2 that was very stable), the file refuses to open. Luckily this workaround is able to fix it.
    Thanks
  • djmoyadjmoya Member Posts: 16
    Yodapollo said:
    Hey, everybody!

I know people are having some issues with old projects and with assets not showing up. Our devs are working hard at fixing sourcing and fixing these issues.

We've sourced the issue with some old projects not opening. We currently have a work around for that one, until our fix is complete:

1) Right-click on the corrupted .gameproj file and go to 'Show Package Contents'
    2) Look at the .gsuser file. You'll need to rename or delete that file (we suggest you just rename it — for example: test.gsuser)
    3) Run the project again

If the above work around does not alleviate the problem, please submit an official bug report through our web contact form.

Also, if you'd like to help us track this stuff down even faster, please send test cases and 0.9.2 files you've had issues with to Bugs at GameSalad dot com.

--Yodapollo

Worked perfectly! Thanks so much saved me a whole bunch of time. I think i may need to backup a lot more frequently just incase.
  • akstudiodevelopmentakstudiodevelopment Member Posts: 93
    Spot on... after thinking hours of game making went out the window! Thanks Yodapollo!!!
  • JamieOneilJamieOneil Member Posts: 877
    Yodapollo said:
    Hey, everybody!

3) Run the project again

--Yodapollo

Thank you! i was waiting for half an hour and the project still did not open. Works now. thanks !
  • jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408
  • StuartYStuartY Member Posts: 134
    Thanks so much yodapollo! For me, it was a native 0.93 file that did this (started working on a quick novelty app a few days ago).

There I was polishing it - adding the splash screen, would you believe. I was about ready to punch the nearest wall, when it crashed and refused to open, but this fix restored it. Hopefully I can actually submit my first effort to Apple by the end of the day - as long as nothing else goes horribly wrong...

:)
  • UtopianGamesUtopianGames Member Posts: 5,692
    Yeah same thing for me native 0.9.3 but as ya say it fixes it but seriously.....come on guys.

Darren.
  • ozboybrianozboybrian PRO Posts: 2,102
    What Darren said.

I lost my most recent file to this : ( All images corrupted. But it won't take me long to fix!
    Will go Pro soon if this rename is a perm fix. Or will I have to rename each new save?
  • SparkyidrSparkyidr Member Posts: 2,033
    Yeah, this bug seems not only to affect old projects lads.

I started a new one in 9.3 and it's done it around 50% of the time when I have saved and closed GS.

It seems to do it less if I open the file via double clicking it from within finder to open GS and the file, rather than opening the file from within GS.

Not had any probs with images as of yet though.
  • ckck Member Posts: 224
    Shades of 0.8.6, which put me off GS the first time. Transparency would go a long way here.
  • ozboybrianozboybrian PRO Posts: 2,102
    This really concerns me.
    Makes me not want pro incase my game doesn't do so good and making games ends up being a hassle instead of fun like it usually is.
  • CatGoneCrazyCatGoneCrazy Member, PRO Posts: 90
    Thanks so much for this fix - thought I'd lost an entire evening's work! By the way, I absolutely LOVE GameSalad. Keep up the fantastic work everyone!
  • DjipDjip Member Posts: 45
    Ty. Nice solved
  • calvin9403calvin9403 Member Posts: 3,186
    great to see this in the sticky
  • MammothMammoth Member Posts: 640
    Hmm,

I can't seem to get to the show package contents. Do I right click it in the finder? Thanks for your help :)
  • cgboycgboy Member Posts: 14
    hi guys, so i got back into my project, but when i run it, the entire game freezes after maybe 3sec into the game. Is there a fix for this as well?
  • squireneticsquirenetic Member Posts: 7
    Edit: It worked again after changing the .gsuser file and rebooting the computer! Phew!
    ------------------
    I've got the same problem now with a game I started working on yesterday.

Changing the .gsuser file name won't fix it ... :(

Strange thing is, after making any major change in my games, I always save the game as a new file. So for example "game_1" , then "game_2". I tried to open my "game_1" backup file, and it too had been corrupted even though I hadn't had it open?! Certainly GameSalad didn't crash when I was working on that file.

Is there any other way to get around this problem, or are these project files lost in the void? Everything else inside them seems intact, and I'm not overly keen to start from scratch.

Any ideas and suggestions would be welcome!

cheers
  • deretraumderetraum Member Posts: 7
    Here is another way to save your precious actors

yeah If you ever need help salvaging a game file that got corrupted its possible. I fiddled around with the actors in the show contents.
    the transfer wouldn't work if I just swapped actor folders but if you make empty actors and transfer over yours valuable ones that works well, but don't replace actors in the working file with other ones that corrupts it, I had 42 actors I wanted to transfer over into a really early version of the game that had only 12 actors, I made empty actors 12-42 then transferred over the actors 12-42 from the broken file. that worked so then I added 12 more actors to the working file, then then rename the first 12 from the broken file 43-54 and the swapped those in and it looks stable.
  • deretraumderetraum Member Posts: 7
    deretraum said:
    Here is another way to save your precious actors

yeah If you ever need help salvaging a game file that got corrupted its possible. I fiddled around with the actors in the show contents.
    the transfer wouldn't work if I just swapped actor folders but if you make empty actors and transfer over yours valuable ones that works well, but don't replace actors in the working file with other ones that corrupts it, I had 42 actors I wanted to transfer over into a really early version of the game that had only 12 actors, I made empty actors 12-42 then transferred over the actors 12-42 from the broken file. that worked so then I added 12 more actors to the working file, then then rename the first 12 from the broken file 43-54 and the swapped those in and it looks stable.

No global attribute transfer but with interestingly if you can remember the names of those globals, and any pictures, and scenes and recreate them in the fix then it relinks automatically