Entire Game In One Scene

osucowboy18osucowboy18 Member Posts: 1,307
edited November -1 in Tech Support
Hello everyone,

I am about to start a new project, but before doing so, I would like your opinion on something. The game I will be working on is not that complex, and only requires 12 scenes. I can't give away to much info yet, but I will tell you that it is an endless game, so there won't be any levels to worry about. My question is, would it be alright to create the game in one scene to eliminate loading times, or would this be a problem later on down the road? I would love to hear your previous experiences with this concept. Thanks in advance everyone!

- Alex

Comments

• tenrdrmertenrdrmer Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 9,934
    I'd love to see you make a full game work in one scene. theres a template that claims to do it but i'm pretty skeptical you could make much a game with it. Let us know how it works out.

___________________________________________________________________________________
    Project Help from Tenrdrmer Click Here

GS BubbleBall Template HERE!!
    Stacks Level Selection Template HERE!!
    Expanding Option Menu Template HERE!!
    Tenrdrmer's Menu # 3 HERE!!
    AppSolute Entertainment on Facebook
    AppSolute Entertainment on iTunes
  • osucowboy18osucowboy18 Member Posts: 1,307
    If I was ever going to do this, it would be with this game. So, I guess I will give it a go...unless anyone has a good reason why I shouldn't.

- Alex
  • ckck Member Posts: 224
    Scene loading time / feature / wheel blows. Need some documentation on memory management so we can handle this better.
  • OaklandasfanOaklandasfan Member Posts: 213
    If you got pro, no one would know it was a gamesalad game!
  • BSideGamesBSideGames Member Posts: 392
    tenrdrmer said:
    I'd love to see you make a full game work in one scene. theres a template that claims to do it but i'm pretty skeptical you could make much a game with it. Let us know how it works out.

___________________________________________________________________________________
    Project Help from Tenrdrmer Click Here

GS BubbleBall Template HERE!!
    Stacks Level Selection Template HERE!!
    Expanding Option Menu Template HERE!!
    Tenrdrmer's Menu # 3 HERE!!
    AppSolute Entertainment on Facebook
    AppSolute Entertainment on iTunes

Everyday with the hate I swear you have got a problem...

on with my real post

I have a no loading template that is for sale in the marketplace and it works great I say you have to work smart to use it, but you should always work smart.

Here is a video of it in action on the ipad, if you want a copy check it out in the marketplace.

• osucowboy18osucowboy18 Member Posts: 1,307
    Thanks for your help guys. I have decided to go ahead an make my game one scene. Ill be sure to let you know how it works out. Thanks again everyone!

- Alex
  • tenrdrmertenrdrmer Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 9,934
    AsherScott said:
    Everyday with the hate I swear you have got a problem...

on with my real post

I have a no loading template that is for sale in the marketplace and it works great I say you have to work smart to use it, but you should always work smart.

Here is a video of it in action on the ipad, if you want a copy check it out in the marketplace.

I think if It was hate I would have said something more along the lines of ,"your an f'n idiot for thinking you could do that. no it's not possible don't bother you freaking moron" but I didn't. Instead I set you up for a potential sale while still letting him know to be careful as I was skeptical.
    Really you shouldn't have came in and pitched your template at all as your help to the guy was in the form of "give me money" it was already mentioned and you should have left it at that.

Have nice night. :)
  • LordTarantorLordTarantor Member, PRO Posts: 890
    Actually to tell you the truth I think that the secret of Grisly Manor was made in only one scene because I finish it and I never saw a loading circle in it. I might be wrong but I believe so.
  • DreamLabDreamLab Member Posts: 2,127
    LordTarantor said:
    Actually to tell you the truth I think that the secret of Grisly Manor was made in only one scene because I finish it and I never saw a loading circle in it. I might be wrong but I believe so.

He updated it in Corona though. That may be why.
  • gazjmgazjm Member Posts: 578
    yea it's not that difficult. one of my games is all in one 480 x 320 window. just takes a bit of time to setup
  • HoneyTribeStudiosHoneyTribeStudios Member Posts: 1,792
    I recently switched over to everything in 1 scene for our upcoming game.

It's nearly finished with a 16 level story mode, so now have to put the settings in for the endless mode.

It's more complicated and adds to the memory usage of the game engine - which is at about 23mb now.

But it's much nicer without level loading times - I just switch levels/menu screen etc by having a fade to black transition.

We've decided to make it 3gs and above only, but even before i got rid of the scenes the game wasn't smooth enough on a 2nd gen ipod. It's a bit annoying but I'm not gonna release a game that runs badly!