GS Player crashes and quits after too many collisions

gamesmoldgamesmold Member, PRO Posts: 279
edited November -1 in Tech Support
Hi there,

I have just emailed this to the GS support, but maybe someone already knows how to solve this issue, so I'll post it here also:

In my new game, I have generated a labyrinth by spawning many single wall-actors. In there, a ball is rolling around.

Now, it seems that with every wall that the ball touches, the memory usage increases a little bit. And if it rolls around long enough and has touched enough walls, the GS player simply quits (crashes).

The GS Viewer clearly shows that with every collision the "engine" and "other" memory usage increase. And at around 80 MB of total usage the player simply quits (on iPad1).

Is there something I can do about this? This way, it will always crash if one simply plays long enough.

Thanks,
Thomas

Comments

• calvin9403calvin9403 Member Posts: 3,186
    what device are you using?
  • gamesmoldgamesmold Member, PRO Posts: 279
    > what device are you using?

iPad 1.

And I just saw that it does not depend on hwo many wall objects I use. Even if the labyrinth consists of a view bars, every collision will slightly increase memory usage...

*EDIT* It's also clearly *no* memory issue. I have just removed a lot of graphics, and now it had crashed in the 50s.
  • gamesmoldgamesmold Member, PRO Posts: 279
    OK, I have just informed GS that I think I've found out where the crashing actually comes from:

After all, it doesn't seem to have anything to do with the memory usage that increases with each collision (though this should also lead to a memory crash when running long enough).

The crash actually happened when all colliding objects have been playing a sound with each collision, and especially when this sound is pitched to a different speed than 1. And I had the actors play sounds with a random pitch.

Now I have put the collision sounds into a single actor that plays them when it is told to do so by the colliding objects. Also, the sounds are now no longer pitched. And it seems to work stable.

I'm using *.ogg sound files, btw.

Best,
    Thomas