Ram Issues (Specific Case)

USCTrojanUSCTrojan Member Posts: 2
edited November -1 in Tech Support
So we are making a game, it spawns a lot of high definition images, has a lot of collisions, and the ram builds up quick, obviously without getting deleted. It used to work just fine on an iphone 4g however after doing minor adjustments, nothing that would effect the ram to this extent, it continuously crashes on the iphone and on an ipad version we have made. What are things we could look for/do to adjust the ram issues. I'm pretty sure I have basically found in forums that there is no way to dump ram during game play, especially with game salad (possibly with all iphone creators). Just so you understand the game, it is a shooting game that spawns lots of bullets (images obviously). We are trying to find a solution. Please let me know if you have any suggestions.

Comments

• jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408
    what are the specs you are seeing using the viewer? what are the values for each part?

images
    audio
    engine
    other

stuff like that. spawning / destroying will kill performance, so won't using huge images. I was running into ram problems with my new iPad game, levels were sitting at 90MB of ram, which was very high for what was going on. I ended up tracking the problem back to 1 actor which was used to display notices when you died. In the actor I had 15 types of images getting loaded, all where 1024x768. when I retooled that to use smaller images (300x100) instrad of full screen ones, the memory dropped down to 37-43 per level.
  • USCTrojanUSCTrojan Member Posts: 2
    Although the numbers are higher on the iPhone 4, when I tested it on the iPhone 3Gs this is what I got when it finally crashed. The game engine number slowly climbed from about 8 MB until it reached about 21 MB.

FPS: 30-40

Sounds: 7.8 MB
    Game Engine: 21.5
    Other: 8.3 MB

Total: 41.6 MB

On the iPhone 4 the numbers are very similar but the image usage is about 20 MB.