Found a bug...a real one this time.

DrGlickertDrGlickert Member Posts: 1,135
edited November -1 in Tech Support
So I've seen a couple of people post here and there about using GS one time and then the next time it doesn't work at all. I think I found out what's going on.

It just happened to me.

On my actors, all the self.attributes got reset. I had to go in manually to each actor and "re-link" them to the correct attributes in the behaviors (mostly Change Attribute behaviors).

Anyone else have this experience?

Comments

• AquariusAquarius Member Posts: 282
    "Found a bug...a real one this time."

STEP ON IT! SQUISH! IT! EAT IT! yum yum yum!

but on a more serious note:

nah never had this issues :/ kinda weird.. "its ok...i'ma doctor"
    :)
  • MotherHooseMotherHoose Member Posts: 2,456
    and those attribute where located via CurrentScene>>>> ???

CurrentScene functionality is scene and actor specific... may hap because the scene may be accessed by hierarchy parameter ... and that would protect us from stupid coding mistakes...
    so if you manipulate your scenes in Home... the code you put using CurrentScene will have to be re-entered.

if you put your Rules with CurrentScene expressions in myBehaviors... and drag into another actor... you have reenter the code... (although I do drag the rules there cause the Rule condition is using what I am coding and that stays...along with the behavior blanks I need to add specific code to...)

and do note that when you have a scene. or touch. or mouse. expressions you can not copy it as you can with self and game expressions...

don't think these are bugs so much as keeping the engine mechanics working.

MH
  • DrGlickertDrGlickert Member Posts: 1,135
    Hey MH,

Trust me. I've made a NUMBER of mistakes when editing actors in the past. I only have one scene in my game at this moment so I'm not switching back and forth and changing things in weird places. This is legitimately a bug. I didn't change anything, the game was working great all day. I closed and re-opened the project (fortunately I had been tweaking the self.attributes on a few actors) and found that all the self.attributes had been replaced with a '0'.

This resonates with a handful of posts by users who one time or another worked on games (had it working), closed GS, then opened is later to find that their game no longer works the way it did before they closed GS.

I think it's a bug. :-)
  • JohnPapiomitisJohnPapiomitis Member Posts: 6,256
    did u happen to delete any attriubtes by mistake or delete them then remake them with the same name without changing them in all the actors?
  • SparkyidrSparkyidr Member Posts: 2,033
    There IS a bug (I reported it a couple of weeks ago)

if you have a rule with a self.something where the something is an att you have created, and you then drag that rule into a timer, or another rule, it blanks out the self.something in the initial rule.

Totally reproduces every time too.
  • MotherHooseMotherHoose Member Posts: 2,456
    DrGlickert said:
    Hey MH,

Trust me. I've made a NUMBER of mistakes when editing actors in the past. I only have one scene in my game at this moment so I'm not switching back and forth and changing things in weird places. This is legitimately a bug. I didn't change anything, the game was working great all day. I closed and re-opened the project (fortunately I had been tweaking the self.attributes on a few actors) and found that all the self.attributes had been replaced with a '0'.

This resonates with a handful of posts by users who one time or another worked on games (had it working), closed GS, then opened is later to find that their game no longer works the way it did before they closed GS.

I think it's a bug. :-)

well, now... I do too...
    glad it has not happened to me... cause I do a lot of tweaking... though usually on a new copy of the project.

MH
  • DrGlickertDrGlickert Member Posts: 1,135
    Sparkyidr said:
    There IS a bug (I reported it a couple of weeks ago)

if you have a rule with a self.something where the something is an att you have created, and you then drag that rule into a timer, or another rule, it blanks out the self.something in the initial rule.

Totally reproduces every time too.

Sweet! So I'm not alone on this one!

@JP - I didn't change any attributes. It has to be a bug because all actors that have self.attributes were affected. Like Sparkyidr said, it's a bug. :-)