need help

seanqiuseanqiu Member Posts: 15
edited November -1 in Tech Support
how come FPS is different, when i preview on iphone and simulator same GS file

the FPS is 55-60, on simulator memory usage image 2.7m sound 16kb game engine 9.3mb other 50.8mb (why?)
the FPS is 23-35, on simulator memory usage image 2.7m sound 16kb game engine 9.3mb other 8.2mb
(why?)

need help, really slow now when preview on iphone, does this matter?

Comments

• StusAppsStusApps Member, PRO Posts: 1,352
    not sure what you mean here. Do you mean the preview within gamesalad? The gamesalad viewer vs an adhoc build?
  • seanqiuseanqiu Member Posts: 15
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/26285221@N07/5481011408/ sorry confusing

i mean performance, both in gamesalad, the frames is really low when i test on my iphone
  • tenrdrmertenrdrmer Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 9,934
    simulator is using you macs processing power and on the phone is using phones hardware. You need to test based off your phones performance not the simulator.

Also please in the future title your posts with a descriptive title. If you read the rules and guidelines sticky it will give you info on why we ask this of the members here.

Thanks
    Aaron
    hey tenrdrmer sorry about title, wont happen again,

but
    memory usage image only takes 2.7mb, i don‘t think that is too much,
    game engine 9.5MB too much?
    other 8.9MB too much?

and i tested cannon physics on my iphone, the FPS was 33-36, was that normal?

is there any way can optimize performance? my game needs fluently moving, it's really confused me now...
    :)
    thanks
    if its a 3G its not horrible but a lot can affect FPS which will have no affect on memory. If you have a ton of actors or your actors have a ton of rules it can hurt fps. 3G iphone or second gen itouch you can normally live with 30 fps but definitely don't go below. 3gs or iphone 4 you should be aiming for 50-60 depending on what you are moving and physics etc.
    you can use interpolate as a move and even have movable un check which will help a lot. but if you need collisions you will have to leave movable checked.
    umm... how did you get a fps and memory readout using the simulator? didn't think it did that.
    Someone posted an .ipa of the viewer here a while back is it possible to run that on the simulator? idk
  • JohnPapiomitisJohnPapiomitis Member Posts: 6,256
    tenrdrmer said:
    Someone posted an .ipa of the viewer here a while back is it possible to run that on the simulator? idk

To run it on the simulator all you do is open the xcode project, and just select debug and simulator from xcode and it will run, since u dont need any code signing or anything for the simulator, then just open your game in gamesalad, and wherever it usueally says iphoen preview then your device, when you click iphone preview it will give your computer as a option.

The info it gives you when running on the simulator will be nothing like that of a viewer on the device though
    thanks guys
    i think i found where the problem is, i used too many actors,

StusApps
    yes like what JohnPapiomitis said

thanks
    tenrdrmer
    seanqiu said:
    thanks guys
    i think i found where the problem is, i used too many actors,

StusApps
    yes like what JohnPapiomitis said

thanks
    tenrdrmer

glad to help.
    @john

i seeeeee. learn something new everyday.

not sure why you would want to do that though.