iAds Hurting... Interesting read

ScootsScoots Member Posts: 507
hey guys, not sure if you caught this article over at TechCrunch about the current state of iAds and "how it is something that the advertising community doesn't want"

anyway I found it as an interesting read and wonder if GS would ever allow us to use other AD companies?

Techcrunch

Comments

• HunnenkoenigHunnenkoenig Member Posts: 1,173
    iAds is crap.

Before you had to spend millions and Apple created the AD for you.

Now you can download the iAd SDK from iTunes Connect and make your own ads and Apple is calling small developers, if they want to advertise in iAd.

They are obviously desperate.
  • ScootsScoots Member Posts: 507
    I only see AT&T ads, has anyone seen any others?
  • joshmiller602joshmiller602 Member Posts: 206
    I think people hate ads (i know i do). I would rather charge then have my game full of a bunch of crap. The only ads I want, are for my other games.
  • DhondonDhondon Member Posts: 717
    joshmiller602 said:
    I think people hate ads (i know i do). I would rather charge then have my game full of a bunch of crap. The only ads I want, are for my other games.

I hate ads myself. The only positive thing about ads is that if the game is pirated (Saucer 44 got cracked and illegally distributed 24 hours after release) is helps the number of views.
  • scitunesscitunes Member, Sous Chef Posts: 4,047
    I think that ads on menu screens, game over screens, etc are fine. But I would prefer to have it out of the gameplay scenes.
  • quantumsheepquantumsheep Member Posts: 8,188
    scitunes said:
    I think that ads on menu screens, game over screens, etc are fine. But I would prefer to have it out of the gameplay scenes.

100% agree.

I've seen some GS games have iAds placed in-game, without any consideration as to where they'd appear!

Buttons are therefore obscured by ads - which makes the game worthless as you can't play it properly!

QS

Dr. Sam Beckett never returned home...
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Quantum_Sheep
    Web: https://quantumsheep.itch.io

• DrGlickertDrGlickert Member Posts: 1,135
    I heard from a speaker that offering the game in two versions is effective. One with ad supported = free, the other, the exact same game (but without ads), but charge for it. (much like Words With Friends did).
  • scitunesscitunes Member, Sous Chef Posts: 4,047
    DrGlickert said:
    I heard from a speaker that offering the game in two versions is effective. One with ad supported = free, the other, the exact same game (but without ads), but charge for it. (much like Words With Friends did).

I have a pair of games in review in which I basically did this. The $0.99 version has no iads and it has a page full of achievements. the lite version has iads on the menu screens and game over screens and no acheivements.

Well see how it does.
  • tenrdrmertenrdrmer Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 9,934
    Scoots said:
    I only see AT&T ads, has anyone seen any others?

I see all sorts of different ads. lately a bunch of free apps have been offered in iAds.
    joshmiller602 said:

I really don't mind iAds as long as they don't affect gameplay. I do hate ads in kids games though
  • xyloFUNxyloFUN Member Posts: 1,593
    A little while ago I was stuck on s plane flying overseas and to kill time, I played solitaire.
    During the period of the flight, I must have accidentally touched the ad banner 20+ times. If there was a way to pay the 99 cents, I gladly would have!

Fast forward to now ... If. my apps and iAds, I'd make a lot of money! Imagine a four year old fooling around on some instrument ... how long would it take until s/he goes "this banner looks pretty"?

I have google ads on my web sites and to be honest, even they are often the same and don't change much.

The truth is that advertising is expensive and only feasable for big companies.
    For us little guys, a controversial YouTube flick can go a long way.

craigslist, considering it costs nothing, is still worth the effort.

That's all I know :-)
  • ScootsScoots Member Posts: 507
    Yeah I would gladly pay .99 for a app with no ads especially if it is for my 4 year old. He's always clicking the ads on accident. Good for Dev, bad for parent ;-)