0.9.1 is a disaster for my game

JamJarRiotJamJarRiot Member Posts: 62
edited November -1 in Tech Support
Ok, not for me to moan about GS updates normally. But 0.91 has killed my game stone dead. It doesn't even play or preview.
The save/cancel buttons then fail to click away and all sorts of graphical glitches appear. I didn't want to send my code in as it's rather large and uses a different way of recycling actors as I avoid Spawning. But oh joy...an example game does exactly the same thing so please follow this example and see what results you get.

If..IF you are sane/paranoid enough to always keep your previous (ie working) version of GS then load up 1.9.0 and load in 2min Countdown from the NEW examples section of the GS loading screen (wait for it to update, should be 4th row down).
Press Play and it begins counting down. Now load up 0.9.1 and do the same. Mine jumps to 1.50, counts to 1.51 and stops.TRY stopping the game. Try File/Close and see how responsive the Close window is. This example happens on both my Macbook with Intel gfx and my iMac so it should happen on other machines out there.
I'm going back to 0.9.0 as I have no choice. Please Gendai, keep the compatibility option for 0.9.0 open as I'm going to be needing it.

Comments

• hdeandahdeanda Member, PRO Posts: 55
    My project works exactly the same with 0.9.1 so it's not a disaster for me and it has a lot of behaviors, actors, sounds, and music.
  • JamJarRiotJamJarRiot Member Posts: 62
    Not disaster for you ? Well that's good. For you. Have you tried the 2min Countdown example ? If that fails to work then it may not be too long until a working piece of code becomes unworkable for you.
    If example programs are failing (and it's a relatively simple example) then the much wanted Pause may be a feature too far.
    If this example and my own programs are the only ones affected I'd be rather surprised.
    I just tried the 2 min countdown example. I clicked the green preview button, it counts down from 2 minutes, pause button stops the count down, after the count down it says game over.
    The green preview button works. The other preview play button appears to have a bug that causes the problems, there is another thread on this.
  • JamJarRiotJamJarRiot Member Posts: 62
    The green button at least starts my game, but with some issues. I'll work on those today and hope they're fixable. The Play button situation is just silly. I didn't even realise it was bugged as it's always worked for me. For minor adjustments it's a quick and easy way to see if things work.
    My game worked fine with it until 0.9.1 today so why should such a feature actually become worse in an update ?

I badly need to get out of the habit of quickly checking my scene with the Play button now as doing this needs GS resetting.
  • jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408
    a lot of times people have problems because the GS engine executes rules so quick it doesn't hit everything before you're change scene. this happens with every release.

i suggest that on any actor where you have multiple rules including a change scene, put the change scene on a after .1 seconds timer, that is usually enough time for everything else to execute and fixes most problems.
  • lagunacomputerlagunacomputer Member Posts: 37
    This update has totally stopped me dead.

Worse, I have saved my 80% complete game as 0.9.1, and now 0.9.0 wont open it.

I am dead in the water. Totally Stuck. Please fix.
    Thank You
  • xyloFUNxyloFUN Member Posts: 1,593
    laguna,
    perhaps it's too late this time but here is a little tip you should write in your "Big Book of Things to Remember":
    save at least an "a" and a "b" version!

That's what I do. This way, if something goes wrong you can go back and start again from when things worked.

Once you are happy, do "Save As" and update both versions.

More "in-betweens" are even better :)
  • dazzlemedazzleme Member Posts: 152
    I've got to agree with the subject of this post... never had a buggier upgrade experience with GS than this one. Here's a few of the things I've noticed so far.

- I can no longer rearrange images in the images folder - they rearrange until you restart GS, then they revert to the position they were imported in.

- Opening actors (by double clicking them) from either the inspector or the preview window is hit and miss. At least half the time I try I must quit GS and restart before they will open.

- Previewing the game is also hit or miss. Often it's unresponsive and I have to restart GS to preview. Or a second window comes up but I can't get the old to go away without a restart. Like "play" and "preview" are both showing. Better shown with an image I suppose.

- Sometimes the tabs in the inspector cover each other up and you can't select a tab.

The good news is I'm able to save my progress even when GS otherwise seems to be hung.

I understand these types of things can happen with a software release, and that issues will be resolved. My hope and request is that they are fixed sooner than the next regular release in what history has shown to be at least a month away. As great as pause can be, I'd rather have the "stability" of .0.9.0. ;)

Of course, reading other threads with with glowing reviews of the latest release, I wonder if I'm in the minority with these issues.
  • ForcingForcing Member Posts: 93
    and i can´t install 0.9.1 viewer on my iphone, because there are problem with xcode, it shows me always the same problem!
  • JlmCJlmC Member Posts: 129
    the Xcode problem, you must check your provisioning files again. It happened to me.

I re-install all the stuff and I could compile everything well.