Is it just me or does anyone else DREAD updates....

Player_EPlayer_E Member, PRO Posts: 604
edited November -1 in Tech Support
Every time an update comes out I have a very hard time updating the GS viewer.

This time around was no different.

I downloaded the new viewer and noticed that when I opened the xcode project in the top left it was not giving me the usual options for 'Device or Simulator"

So I did some online research and found out that it happen with some kind of apple update and that I had to go into xcode and edit project settings.

DONE.

okay ready to get it going.... WRONG!

As i try and edit my code sign I notice that my provisioning profile is not selectable... WTF, so I do some more research and find out that my certificate had expired....

okay so after 20min of messign around with that I get it done and in xcode I can now select the correct profile!! PERFECT!!!

okay everything is set and I click build and Run..... wait for about 5min and I get 4 ERRORS!!! :(

they read as follows.

"_ADBannerContentSizeIdentifierLandscape", referenced from:
_ADBannerContentSizeIdentifierLandscape$non_lazy_ptr in libGameSaladViewer.a(GSiAdSupport.o)
(maybe you meant: _ADBannerContentSizeIdentifierLandscape$non_lazy_ptr)

"_ADBannerContentSizeIdentifierPortrait", referenced from:
_ADBannerContentSizeIdentifierPortrait$non_lazy_ptr in libGameSaladViewer.a(GSiAdSupport.o)
(maybe you meant: _ADBannerContentSizeIdentifierPortrait$non_lazy_ptr)
ld: symbol(s) not found
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

_ADBannerContentSizeIdentifierLandscape$non_lazy_ptr in libGameSaladViewer.a(GSiAdSupport.o)

_ADBannerContentSizeIdentifierPortrait$non_lazy_ptr in libGameSaladViewer.a(GSiAdSupport.o)

Each little group here is an error that I get.. I have never seen these before and am clueless. When I search for these terms i dont find anything online that could point me in the right direction...

Why must this happen every update :(

Comments

• Player_EPlayer_E Member, PRO Posts: 604
    Doing some searching some more Im guessing this is an iAd related error?

Why would there be iAds in the GS viewer?
  • UtopianGamesUtopianGames Member Posts: 5,692
    I just plug in device do a build and run via xcode making sure device and release is selected in the top left drop down and it installs on device and then simply repeat for iPad.

You need the latest xcode but apart from that i never have to alter any code (like in TSBs video for eg) or anything so not sure whats wrong with yours m8.

Darren.
    im checking for an update on xcode right now. Hope that could be the resolution
  • quantumsheepquantumsheep Member Posts: 8,188
    I'm making a movie for this very situation. It's called:

Dr Sheeplove.

OR

How I learned to stop worrying and love the update

QS :D

Dr. Sam Beckett never returned home...
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Quantum_Sheep
    Web: https://quantumsheep.itch.io

Wells after updating the software on my mac and booting up xcode a few things appeared different even though I couldnt tell you what.

I tried to build the viewer and instead of 4 errors I got 2...

So it was some kind of improvement, but still getting these errors

just from reading the text on these errors it hints at an error related to iAds. IDK why it would be giving me that as I assume the GS viewer does not have iAds, but I could be wrong they could of added them in update i guess?

I know its late. I hope someone on the GS teams catches glance of this in the morning.

@QS
    I wish I could love the update, but time after time I feel cheated on and I just cannot go on loving something that keeps doing this to me. I wish GS could come up with a single viewer that does not have to be updated.
    In the morning I will post a video walkthrough of what I am experiencing maybe that will give a more clear issue.
  • quantumsheepquantumsheep Member Posts: 8,188
    Player_E said:
    @QS
    I wish I could love the update, but time after time I feel cheated on and I just cannot go on loving something that keeps doing this to me. I wish GS could come up with a single viewer that does not have to be updated.

Actually, I agree with you. I find it annoying to do, despite it being quite easy once you get into it (and follow tshirts vid!).

Dr. Sam Beckett never returned home...
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Quantum_Sheep
    Web: https://quantumsheep.itch.io

• hrsmediahrsmedia Member Posts: 522
    quantumsheep said:
    I'm making a movie for this very situation. It's called:

Dr Sheeplove.

OR

How I learned to stop worrying and love the update

QS :D

haha brilliant.
    Decided I would bump this.

I am also planning on seeing if I create a new provisioning profile for the viewer will solve the issue.

Any thoughts before I try and do this?
    Video coming soon.

If a mod sees this please move thread into bugs, so there is an open issue.

Thank you.
    Here is the video:

hope this helps anyone who is trying to help.

Thanks
    Additional info.

Errors are for Active Architecture armv6 and armv7
    in theory I am getting 2 errors, but they are repeating themselves for each Architecture.

I dont recall ever have to do any thing with Active Architecture in previous versions. I may be mistaken.
  • PhoticsPhotics Member Posts: 4,172
    It's also important to keep Xcode updated too.

I got some errors, looked liked the ones in the first post of this thread, but then I updated Xcode. The problem went away.
    i have xcode version 3.2.4

is this the version that is most recent? i dont see anywhere I can update it, so i assume it is.
  • JohnPapiomitisJohnPapiomitis Member Posts: 6,256
    You need xcode 3.2.5 thats part of the problem

when you log in to your dev account it says dec centers at the top left click ios and scroll down to the bottom where it says downloads and youll see xcode 3.2.5 and sdk 4.2
  • GamersRejoiceGamersRejoice Member Posts: 817
    ★ I have to admit that when I started up my project with 9.1 I was cringing at the thought that my game would not work any more. I guess I got lucky
    i hope updating xcode will do the trick. doing it now. ill post back with findings.

Crossing my fingers....
  • Andre_DaniAndre_Dani Member Posts: 22
    you have to install xcode 3.2.5

1.) change your bundle identifier ex:com.gamesalad
    2.) change iphone devoloper in project info to to gamesalad account
    3.) change simulator to device in the combobox on the layout.

And your gamesalad viewer 0.9.1 will work!
    There you go!!!
    well 3 hours later when xcode is updated. I try to get the viewer to work. i open the xcode project and notice once again in the top left corner that it reads bas SDK missing... So i go to the solution that I found on the web and.... It didnt work. Still read Base SDK missing. i checked and made sure that 4.2 was updated with the new xcode which it was.

So I decided to reboot my machine to see if it would help, so I start xcode back up and..... IT WORKED!!
    Finally after 8+hours of messing with it the viewer is finally back on my device.

I want to give a HUGE THANK YOU! to everyone who pitched in to help me resolve this.

Now time for a tiny rant....

I am still very disappointed in the GS team, not because of MY Issue where I did not have the correct version, but the fact that they state they want more open communication on the forum and it is NOT happening at all. I sent them an email with link to thread when this all started hoping maybe one would decide to do some work and at least post something that could be a tangible thought... instead I get silence once again from the GS team. I had another issue in the past that i was quite frustrated with their LACK of communication on.

Once again not even an email back saying they received my message and would look into SOMETHING... for all I know they could have just looked at my email thought to themselves "Oh boy I don't know what the issue is...We should just ignore it and either someone on the forum will help or he will just go away...."

Thats all I want really is some type of customer service... I mean this is a company who is selling a a product and even having the nuts to say a feature of "PRO" is "FIRST PRIORITY TECH SUPPORT" yet time after time I seem to not receive any type of tech support from the GS team let alone any type of customer service. if i'm paying for a FEATURE I want that FEATURE to WORK.

End rant.