SpriteDeck GUI for Corona

ScootsScoots Member Posts: 507
edited November -1 in Non-GS Game News
Looks like someone is tooting a drag & drop feature for corona. canadian Company called Spritedeck.
SpriteDeck

Also in news at Corona today: Windows compatible version is out.

Comments

• PhoticsPhotics Member Posts: 4,172
    Yeah... I heard about it...
    http://photics.com/spritedeck-bullets-for-coronas-gun

GameSalad better get moving, or the competition is going to eat their lunch.

Five months without an update - for software in beta - is a bad sign.
  • jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408
    that looks nice, but you still have to code everything, it looks like it just allows you drag and drop your stage, not actually do programming.
  • tenrdrmertenrdrmer Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 9,934
  • xyloFUNxyloFUN Member Posts: 1,593
    Scoots said:
    Looks like someone is tooting a drag & drop feature for corona. canadian Company called Spritedeck.
    SpriteDeck

Also in news at Corona today: Windows compatible version is out.

Oh Canada!

I wish I had a Dollar for every response your post will get today! I'd make more money than from my apps ;)
  • PhoticsPhotics Member Posts: 4,172
    Scoots said:
    canadian Company called Spritedeck

Actually, it's called Citrify Inc.
    jonmulcahy said:
    that looks nice, but you still have to code everything, it looks like it just allows you drag and drop your stage, not actually do programming.

It's not as automatic as GameSalad, but it looks like it does some coding.
  • iDeveloperiDeveloper Member Posts: 441
    Photics said:
    Yeah... I heard about it...
    http://photics.com/spritedeck-bullets-for-coronas-gun

GameSalad better get moving, or the competition is going to eat their lunch.

Five months without an update - for software in beta - is a bad sign.

I agree, GS has got to get moving.
    jonmulcahy said:

Hey, at least this one is a stand-alone, and "officially" supports more devices.

I don't mind coding, as long as there's a GUI to build the scenes.
    So, Corona Project Manager + SpriteDeck GUI = Corona IDE.
    I also heard that someone is creating a code editor for corona with auto complete.

2011 will be fantastic years for BOTH GS and Corona.

I do not want to discuss this any further..... (belongs at the Corona Forums)
  • ScootsScoots Member Posts: 507
    tenrdrmer said:
    Second GUI this month for Corona

Really? I missed the first GUI, I like GS and hopefully they will implement some of the features being discuused in the "Big Picture, Little news" post. Other engines are closing in on drag N' drop it appears.
    xyloFUN said:
    Oh Canada!

I wish I had a Dollar for every response your post will get today! I'd make more money than from my apps ;)

LOL, that would be nice.
    iDeveloper said:
    I agree, GS has got to get moving.

Hey, at least this one is a stand-alone, and "officially" supports more devices.

I don't mind coding, as long as there's a GUI to build the scenes.
    So, Corona Project Manager + SpriteDeck GUI = Corona IDE.
    I also heard that someone is creating a code editor for corona with auto complete.

2011 will be fantastic years for BOTH GS and Corona.

I do not want to discuss this any further..... (belongs at the Corona Forums)

You mean you haven't already jumped ship yet again? LOL
  • JohnPapiomitisJohnPapiomitis Member Posts: 6,256
    yeah thats just liek corona rapid prootype. all it does is givfe you position code and add a physics body line. you still would have to code in all the events and functions and everything else
    @scoots
    Corona Rapid Prototype
    http://www.nerderer.com/Gumbo/
    Not as fancy looking but does basically the same stuff. still have to code the end product. but you can at least build your scenes I still havn't taken the corona dive but I may have start sneaking off in the evening and checking out a little more.

GameSalad is still better for me but I wish they would get a move on with their development.
    tenrdrmer said:
    You mean you haven't already jumped ship yet again? LOL

Nope.. Not yet.. Waiting to generate some funding.
  • jamesmunro2jamesmunro2 Member Posts: 130
    xyloFun: Here's my $1

Two totally different markets in my opinion.

Also, the key is not going to be features, drop and drag, programming vs. visual GUI. (believe it or not....) I think it's going to be a combination of price structure and features that determines market success. GS feels like it is in transition right now, trying to find the price structure that works.

The wii system had low price and low features. Playstation 3 had high price and fabulous features. Finding the balance for GS will be important. I have faith in the GS developers.

That was long... Here's an extra $1.
    JohnPapiomitis said:
    yeah thats just liek corona rapid prootype. all it does is givfe you position code and add a physics body line. you still would have to code in all the events and functions and everything else

John,
    you are right but as with all projects, if there is demand (let's assume THERE IS), they will improve their tool and then, code modifications will only be necessary for custom functions which are unique to a specific game.

The cost is very reasonable and who ever can play $350 for Corona, certainly will not whine about $31.04 TIMES FOUR to add this tool because it saves time. Maybe the hardcore coders will belittle it, but for many, this will be the ticket to glory!
    jamesmunro2 said:
    xyloFun: Here's my $1

Two totally different markets in my opinion.

Also, the key is not going to be features, drop and drag, programming vs. visual GUI. (believe it or not....) I think it's going to be a combination of price structure and features that determines market success. GS feels like it is in transition right now, trying to find the price structure that works.

The wii system had low price and low features. Playstation 3 had high price and fabulous features. Finding the balance for GS will be important. I have faith in the GS developers.

That was long... Here's an extra $1.

Sure James,
    but let's remember that for today, the buzz is on their part of the world (AGAIN)!
    I really like GS and no one can look ahead of what the future brings but I believe that things like this is what it takes to motivate Austin Texas!
    Competition is a good thing ... there is room for everybody and who knows who else will enter the race?

The future of game design is an interesting one and I'm happy to have access to the tools now :)

My piggy bank has already ~ $15
  • ScootsScoots Member Posts: 507
    iDeveloper said:
    Nope.. Not yet.. Waiting to generate some funding.

Maybe it won't be long for you iDeveloper, Corona new pricing 199.00 for either IOS or Andriod only. $349.00 for PRO which does both both.
    scoots,
    enlighten me (too lazy to go over there and digg)

corona is 199??? and not 350??

Never mind! I had to ..... look \../
    Scoots said:
    Maybe it won't be long for you iDeveloper, Corona new pricing 199.00 for either IOS or Andriod only. $349.00 for PRO which does both both.

LOL. I just read that. I thought "thank you Corona!"

Thanks. Maybe. Just maybe I'll create a million dollar game. (*wishing*)

@xyloFUN: Yes, for iOS-only builds. Same model is coming for Android.
  • BeyondtheTechBeyondtheTech Member Posts: 809
    xyloFUN said:
    scoots,
    enlighten me (too lazy to go over there and digg)

corona is 199??? and not 350??

Never mind! I had to ..... look \../

I'm gonna chime in here. This can be considered the first nail in the coffin for GS. Let's be direct here - the main thing that GS has it going for them is their interface. With all the features that Corona has going for it, if they had a complete GUI front-end, I really don't know what the future would be for GS.

As for the pricing on their Buy Now page, I was shocked to see this too: $199 for iOS only, or $349 for iOS and Android. Wow.

I couldn't believe it when Photics said we've only had one public release of GameSalad in five months. That's nearly half the yearly subscription time, and if you paid $99, that's not such a bad loss (unless you're broke). But if you paid more, or all we get is one other public release again or just minor updates in 6 months time, and then it's time to cough up $499, many people will be very pissed.
  • ChunkypixelsChunkypixels Member Posts: 1,114
    so..watching the video...

Its got a proper zoom function, and you can see the info for position, size etc of the selected actor without having to actually click on it and go into a new window.

That was the 2 immediate things I noticed. Hint, Hint GameSalad...

But yup, its not quite a direct answer to GameSalad, but it does fire another warning shot in its direction....
  • cbtcbt Member Posts: 644
    I'm quoting from beyondthetech (I hope you don't mind);

"The fact that only one minor public release has been made in half the time of a standard user’s subscription is very disheartening."

"But Corona and the people behind it at Ansca have made major strides almost once a month, surprising their subscribers at every update of their software."

These two facts and this video;
    http://www.spritedeck.com/learn/

Makes me feel.. I don't know..
    I know I will be arround and will be using GS for much longer
    I know I really love GameSalad and its community

But.. Still..
    One thing that impresses me about GS is the fact that they lowered the cost to participate to zero!
    Most are not willing to consider that but it is important.

While this new toy no doubt will find its niece market, their pricing stinks with four payments/year.
    Charge what you charge but leave me alone for a year!

Last, I believe that their model will have to adjust quite a bit because a large base of successful Corona users know enough to not need this, especially at $130+/year
    Which leaves the newcomers for which the tool, as it is, isn't quite enough to make it without posting in the forum.
    So for now, the choice is are you waiting for GS (while it's calculating because of the memory leaks) or are you waiting for someone to answer your question?

Until someone can eliminate the waiting game, GS does not need to worry ... maybe a little.

Eventually, we will see a mix of companies enabling those of us who want to make these kind of simple apps, to do so :)
  • ChunkypixelsChunkypixels Member Posts: 1,114
    @xylofun Im not sure reducing the cost of entry to zero is such the good thing you imply. I dont think it'll have brought any new revenue to GS, improved the community, or done anything to improve the overall quality of GS produced games... if anything, I'd suggest the opposite.

I think some barrier to entry actually makes people think about what theyre doing, and helps to keep the bottom line of quality slightly out of the sewer.
  • BeyondtheTechBeyondtheTech Member Posts: 809
    Still, $199 for Corona SDK for iOS plus $120 for SpriteDeck is still cheaper than GameSalad Pro for $499.

Have any of you looked into Particle Candy for Corona, too?

I almost fell out of my chair when I first saw the effects.

http://www.x-pressive.com/ParticleCandy_Corona/

That's a one-time price of €39 (equivalent to $54 USD).

Add all that up and it's still cheaper, and you do get so much more for your money. It's scary.

C'mon, GS. Step on it!

SpriteDeck is now a one-time charge of $49! Lifetime updates!
  • jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408
    guys, this is quickly becoming something that should be discussed over on the corona forums. if it continues I'll have to close it.
    BeyondtheTech said:
    Still, $199 for Corona SDK for iOS plus $120 for SpriteDeck is still cheaper than GameSalad Pro for $499.

Have any of you looked into Particle Candy for Corona, too?

I almost fell out of my chair when I first saw the effects.

http://www.x-pressive.com/ParticleCandy_Corona/

That's a one-time price of €39 (equivalent to $54 USD).

I saw that a little while ago and my point of interest was not for game development needs but just sheer amazement of how far these little things have come. I create 3D artwork and the concept of particles has always amazed me.
    For me, a simple UI that lets me make and improve my instruments is all I ask for. But in the end, I want to make little apps that don't have any other branding than mine.
    Until I find that tool, I will keep searching :)
    jonmulcahy said:
    guys, this is quickly becoming something that should be discussed over on the corona forums. if it continues I'll have to close it.

Oh come on Jon,
    we were so hungry for the Big Picture ... just let us enjoy the "frame" :)
  • cbtcbt Member Posts: 644
    I don't think GS can get any better than this..
    I mean it is not like they are blind or deaf... They probably know this stuff, before any of us do..

But, why they just don't speed things up?
    Why they don't make something revolutionary? (Not like GS Direct, but, something users will like..)

I really can not come up with a decent answer.. I know GS is the BEST there is when it comes to GUI, but, would GS still be on the same road, if the company was being run by the Ansca guys?
    Chunkypixels said:
    @xylofun Im not sure reducing the cost of entry to zero is such the good thing you imply. I dont think it'll have brought any new revenue to GS, improved the community, or done anything to improve the overall quality of GS produced games... if anything, I'd suggest the opposite.

I think some barrier to entry actually makes people think about what theyre doing, and helps to keep the bottom line of quality slightly out of the sewer.

They are getting new users everyday but yeah the quality is not great. I really think GS should provide a free version that allows to use the viewer downloaded from the AppStore instead of compiling on your own so users can try there hand on their own device with no upfront cost but then require a small fee to publish basic iOS builds.

So yeah I have seen the quality of stuff here much less in Jan than they were six months ago so I definitely agree here.

But this is definitely a blow to GS. certainly not game match ending or any thing but it is still big. they need to move fast because they are going to start losing the users who don't threaten to leave every other week they are just going to leave, and move on to bigger and better things.
    tenrdrmer said:... they are going to start losing the users who don't threaten to leave every other week they are just going to leave, and move on to bigger and better things.

That is unavoidable but as things are right now, not too critical.
    Tomorrow, all of this will be old news :)

SpriteTeck will wake up and stare at the number who bought into their strategy just like each of us who takes a look to see if anything interesting has happened.

Eventually, there will be someone else (currently hard at work) how will join the parade and others will follow.

There are a lot of people out there who would like to do this stuff but one will have THE market share.
    History has shown that it is usually those who work harder and smarter.
This discussion has been closed.