Camera control doesn't work

massalimassali Member Posts: 57
edited November -1 in Tech Support
Hey there,

I recently came across GameSalad and have been experimenting with a few concepts. I'm as we speak messing around with a racing game inspired by the classic Micro Machines (NES). Here's a little preview of the game: http://www.massali.net/projects/katching/01_Katching_iOS_Game.png

My problem at the moment is that the camera isn't moving the car (actor). I've set the scene to be a larger size than the game and the car has the scrolling attribute and the "Camera Control". Any idea of what I'm missing?

I've checked out a few tutorials which cover the subject of Camera control, but without success. These are a few of the ones that I've checked out:

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• JohnPapiomitisJohnPapiomitis Member Posts: 6,256
    when you start to move the actor does it look like its colliding with something and wont move? if so im experiencing the same bug. Ive done tons of stuff with the camera and never had this happen before
  • StormyStudioStormyStudio United KingdomMember Posts: 3,989
    is your scene scrollable?

can you move your car around a static scene fine?

If you cant resolve it, email me the project, or a trimmed down project if its large and I'll take a look and send it back.

"jon_draper'@'yahoo.co.uk'
  • massalimassali Member Posts: 57
    Thanks for your replies! Appreciate it.

JohnPapiomitis, I'm not really experiencing the issue that you're talking of at the moment. I had that issue before though, for some reason it just went away. Strange!

Stormystudio, I've set the car to be scrollabe but not the background. How can I set the scene to be scrollable? The car does move around in a static scene. Here's a little screen capture of the game:
    Ok...lets see now..

In the Scene Editor of GameSalad,
    press the big Scene button
    then choose layers (it may already be active)
    then where you should have ticked the car layer as scrollable,
    Make sure the layer where your background image is is also scrollable.

The only things you don't want scrollable are any HUD, e.g. score, timer, map, menu button etc...

Then
    Press 'Attributes' it's next to 'Layers'
    and change the scene size to what ever you want e.g. x 1000 y 1000.

You dont need to change 'Camera Size' (Which is what you may have done before).

The scene should now be wider/taller and you can scroll around it.

Put the camera controller on your car,

In the scene window, above your car/road image is a camera icon, press that and you can tweak the camera tracking area, for example have it so the camera wont start to follow the car until at has moved 50% across your screen...

Oh and your graphics are looking very Cool...

Make sure you don't have the camera control on more than one actor. Unless you have extra rules that would make that work fine.
    Thanks a lot, Stormystudio!
    I'm going to have a look at those comments and get back to you.

Really looking forward to getting the foundation done and dusted so that I can start creating all the content and working towards getting it done. I've for an example already created lots of realistic special effects such as fire, explosions, rain etc. :)
    sounds very promising, and the sort of game GameSalad has the tools to do pretty well too. Good luck.

Let me know if it's still not working for you...
    For some reason I can't get it to work as I'd like to. I just sent you the GS file as you stated previously. Hopefully you can get it up and running.
    will take a look in a bit... first I'll make a cuppa tea..
    Figured it out...

The car actor in your scene is not the prototype, you must have pressed the big padlock when looking at its behaviours. You applied the camera control to the prototype and not to the car in the scene. Either replace the car actor with the a new one, or open the one in the scene and revert it back to prototype (button in top left), or add the cam control to your scene car actor.

It's easily done...the game so far is looking really nicely polished. Good luck and let me know if you need help later in production. Good luck.
    Thanks, appreciate it.