10 Big Myths about copyright explained

DhondonDhondon Member Posts: 717
Found some info that might be useful to some of our GS users.

10 Big Myths about copyright explained:
http://www.templetons.com/brad/copymyths.html

Comments

• xyloFUNxyloFUN Member Posts: 1,593
    Hey dhondon,
    I just emailed a friend to clarify something ... thanks for posting that! :)

Besides adding the mandatory copyright, I was advised to hand write everything my apps do and make storyboards and diagrams, basically, state EVERYTHING and scribble it down.
    Afterwards, use the good old post office and mail yourself a letter!

One thing that is also useful is to try and get media coverage! A few years ago, a reporter interviewed me and the name xylofun was mentioned as well as my music method. After the dust settles on the trumpet and clarinet (which were my "tester" apps) i am planning to start work on the real thing!

.... can't wait :)
  • DhondonDhondon Member Posts: 717
    Glad to help xyloFUN:)

I've actually posted an letter to myself too.
    It's an cheap insurance.

Another helpful article from Gamasutra, Myths and Facts in Avoiding Copyright Infringement: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/3215/myths_and_facts_in_avoiding_.php
  • BarkBarkCoBarkBarkCo Member Posts: 1,400
    http://www.copyrightauthority.com/poor-mans-copyright/

The takeaway from the above article is that this method can be easily faked... ;-)
    BarkBarkCo,
    that article is .... not worth reading!

NOBODY will mail a letter to themselves without making sure that the stamp is affixed in such a way that it would have to be broken in order to open the envelope! PLUS, the stamp also gets stamped on by the post office (you need to make sure that they do that correctly) ... so .... I'd rather have a letter in my possession that dates a few years back than a web site stating ... what ever!

You say the letter thing is not fool proof .... how about if i update my web page and use a copyright year of 1966 which means that I invented something at the age of 3.
    Does that make any sense?
  • scitunesscitunes Member, Sous Chef Posts: 4,047
    xyloFUN said:
    BarkBarkCo,
    that article is .... not worth reading!

NOBODY will mail a letter to themselves without making sure that the stamp is affixed in such a way that it would have to be broken in order to open the envelope! PLUS, the stamp also gets stamped on by the post office (you need to make sure that they do that correctly) ... so .... I'd rather have a letter in my possession that dates a few years back than a web site stating ... what ever!

You say the letter thing is not fool proof .... how about if i update my web page and use a copyright year of 1966 which means that I invented something at the age of 3.
    Does that make any sense?

I read somewhere that if you have the mailed letter you will be able to get the offender to cease a desist but you will never be awarded damages without going through the library of commerce. Not sure where I read it as it was awhile ago (when I last put out a CD with my band) but I remember it being a legit source.
    scitunes,
    you are right, it is a mess, no matter which way you look at it. A friend of mine was taken to court and his opponent made up stuff which took lawyers to dissect and sort out.
    Basically, it's tough to stand up against those who can afford to take you to court!

I was lucky that xylFUN was on TV and i have that video plus, about 10 years ago, when I started to develop the "creative children compose music" method i hand wrote all the lessons for each child. Therefore, there are plenty of original copies out there ... should i ever need them.

But i prefer that i never have to!

I don't expect that i will get in trouble with copying someone, in my case, it's the other way around but for now, the letters is all i got until i can incorporate.