I would value your oppinion on the template modification (white > balck)

xyloFUNxyloFUN Member Posts: 1,593
Hey,
I am wondering something ....
My site caters to children (well, actually their parents who are in the 18 - 35 age group) and I could use your opinion and advise about the black background I just switched to.
Generally, children's sites are bright and colourful and over the years, I had those themes but ever since I rendered out the black trumpet, things have changed and now I am leaning towards black and white.

There is a movement out there that promotes dark backgrounds because the monitor draws less energy to display black than it does displaying white but that is not why i am doing it.

Many of you are in the same age group than the bulk of my visitors will be and I could really use the feedback because if the majority does not object to the dark look, than i have to recreate some artwork that will fit the style.

I really appreciate your input on this :)

http://xyloFUN.net

p.s. I am also wondering about copyright. I don't have a company registered yet (but will sometime next year if i can) and therefore am not sure what to use for copyright info. Can something be copyrighted to a web site or do i need to use my name? I would rather prefer the web site name than my own if i can. Thanks :)

Comments

• BarkBarkCoBarkBarkCo Member Posts: 1,400
    I think it would look better white. I always get lost on dark websites... ;-)
  • MotherHooseMotherHoose Member Posts: 2,456
    me I like the trumpet with a black bg... but concur with BBC... the whole page may be too dark.

re: copyright... use the company name, if that is what you prefer... technically on the web you are registered as a company...

MH
  • GamersRejoiceGamersRejoice Member Posts: 817
    Pulling off a dark or black website is difficult because the contrast is so high it can be very straining on the eyes. I would probably play around with an off white to help separate the content from the background.
  • xyloFUNxyloFUN Member Posts: 1,593
    Thanks guys,
    it is a great advantage to have various opinions because i am used to looking at my work which still does not help as i can not tell what potential customers see.

For now, I went ahead and made the page background darker and in a little while, I will look at it again.
    There is always the option of rendering a different background for the trumpet but i think that many parents and music teachers will look at my site in the evening (we musicians are night owls).

I am not 100% happy yet so if anyone has something to add, it will be seriously considered!
    OK, i have reached a level that i can live with for a while!

Now all i have to do is tame the shopping cart and then i'm ready to relax for a few days :)
    LOL, this drove me crazy all morning but, now i can live with it!

Just a minor tweak to center the banner and than it's back to "salating"!

If anyone spots a typo, please let me know?
    (sometimes i wish that my spelling of foreign languages was better, especially English)
  • VoidedSkyVoidedSky Member Posts: 1,095
    I think that ehite is much more cheerful, and noticeable. BarkBarkCo is right, you DO get lost on them. White sets the scene, much better, in my opinion.
    ~CTM
    EDIT: just noticed typo in your banner: it's available, not availablex.
  • IsabelleKIsabelleK Member, Sous Chef Posts: 2,807
    Your site is great, and current template (white) is fine. I love this trumpet or whatever it is left to the title :)