I've officially had it with GameSalad!

mza1979mmza1979m Member Posts: 27
edited November -1 in Tech Support
I realize this is beta, but some bugs just make it literally unusable. I was designing my 6th level, and all of a sudden it won't let me modify the behaviours of a certain actor that I use as a spawner. I have it in all my previous 5 levels and it works fine, but now in my 6th level every time that I double-click the instance to modify its behaviours, a weird thing happens. The entire bottom left corner of my screen (Behaviours, Images, Audio) goes completely white and nothing on my stage responds. The menus of the program still work but that's about it. I have to quite GameSalad and go back in, but it goes back to doing the same thing. I tried deleting the actor and creating a duplicate of it again from the previous stages, but no luck. I tried deleting the whole scene and recreating it, but the same thing happens!
I think I'll wait until a more stable version is released before I do anything else.

Comments

• PhoticsPhotics Member Posts: 4,172
    Well... there is a bit of frustration with GameSalad. Even right now, with all of knowledge about the software, I find it difficult to continue. What project will I work on next? How will I compete in such a highly competitive market? What's the point? Why don't I just give up and start another hobby?

Maybe I can fly remote control airplanes or something?

Heh, but then I rest and get back to work. Yes, the software is in beta, but the money I can make is real. Tshirtbooth, Utopian Games, Firemaplegames... they got past the limitations of the software and they made lots of money.

If something weird happens with the software, ranting on the forums like this is not incredibly productive. The GameSalad team is helpful. Did you try using technical support? If some weird glitch happened. Maybe if you can explain it to them, show them how to recreate the steps that caused your software to crash, then maybe the GameSalad team can make the software better.
  • SparkyidrSparkyidr Member Posts: 2,033
    I had a similar issue the other day

Have you tried saving out to a new file? That seemed to solve it for me.
  • gyroscopegyroscope I am here.Member, Sous Chef, PRO Posts: 6,598
    Or referring to an attribute in the Rules somewhere that's been deleted...

""You are in a maze of twisty passages, all alike." - Zork        temp domain http://spidergriffin.wix.com/alphaghostapps

• StormyStudioStormyStudio United KingdomMember Posts: 3,989
    gyroscope said:
    Or referring to an attribute in the Rules somewhere that's been deleted...

...that one is always fun....
  • scitunesscitunes Member, Sous Chef Posts: 4,047
    Nothing like a blue oval that just says "game" in it!
  • mza1979mmza1979m Member Posts: 27
    Thanks for all your responses. For the most part I've been able to find a workaround for my issues, but this one seens directly related to software functionality, rather than "broken code" or whatnot, the way a part of the screen just goes blank. It's not during runtime or anything anyways, I really haven't had much time to ponder the issue. Been working at leasy 12 hours a day and by the time I get home I'm totally beat and haven't the energy to bang my head against the keyboard. Harry potter has a lightning bolt; I have a Windows key engraved into my forehead.
  • butterbeanbutterbean Member Posts: 4,315
    @Mza: I too had the same issue as you, and it's a real P.I.A but hopefully you can get past it and work around it. I found when copying and pasting behaviors from one actor to another, that this occurred.

It took me longer to work on my game than I had wanted, but nonetheless, it's almost complete... just keep at it!
  • quantumsheepquantumsheep Member Posts: 8,188
    mza1979m said:
    I have a Windows key engraved into my forehead.

This is very telling.

I'm assuming you're running GS on a hackintosh?

QS

Dr. Sam Beckett never returned home...
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Quantum_Sheep
    Web: https://quantumsheep.itch.io

• AsymptoteellAsymptoteell Member Posts: 1,362
    "Hackintosh"

Love the term, Quantum.

Asymptoeell

P.S. Despite gamesalad's issues (magnified by the fact that my computer freezes every 2 hours as is), it is still by far the easiest way to make games. Stick with it. It does wonders.
    Yes... I'm using a Hackintosh :) Crap! Did I say Windows key? I meant... er... Command key! Yes, that's it...
    QS caught me. I hoped with an i7 processor and 16GB of ram that GS would take advantage of the abundance of available resources and look past this little Hackintosh dilema.
    Anyways, just a few more Air Miles and I can get a top of the line Macintosh laptop! Although I don't think I can wait another 4 months or so, I might just go grab me one sooner and pay for it, with like... money or something.
    You're right butterbean... it seams it only occurs when I copy and paste behaviours. Even though I've been copying/pasting for a while with no problems, but some bug in GameSalad must have gotten triggered by some evil force, preventing me from copying/pasting without awakening its inner demons... ok, no more RPG games for me.
  • quantumsheepquantumsheep Member Posts: 8,188
    mza1979m said:
    You're right butterbean... it seams it only occurs when I copy and paste behaviours. Even though I've been copying/pasting for a while with no problems, but some bug in GameSalad must have gotten triggered by some evil force, preventing me from copying/pasting without awakening its inner demons... ok, no more RPG games for me.

Funnily enough, your issue has just happened to me!

I tried moving my menu scene from Gravitrixx into a new game, knowing full well that a lot of the actors and attributes would have to be remade.

It seems that whenever I opened an actor that I'd moved from Gravitrixx into the new game, the bottom left half of the screen went blank, and everything was unresponsive.

Then GS would crash.

Are you copy and pasting actors/attributes that don't exist into a new game at all like I am? Perhaps that's the problem?

Cheers,

QS :D

Dr. Sam Beckett never returned home...
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Quantum_Sheep
    Web: https://quantumsheep.itch.io

Nope... all within the same game. But I think (although not sure) that it may have something to do with broken behaviours within the actors, such as when referencing something that isn't there.
    Now my copy/paste doesn't work at all. I can copy or cut, but when I try to paste anything, instead of the expected result, I just get a blank space where the copied behaviours should be. Although this is probably an unrelated issue, it's equally frustrating.
    Boy I hope they release a new stable version soon...
  • TwistedMechTwistedMech Member Posts: 408
    I have spent the last month trying to narrow down issues which cause crashes on the device. I will now rewrite my shooter in corona and hope gs improve. The last update was a bigger disaster than the update from 0.7.0.
  • scitunesscitunes Member, Sous Chef Posts: 4,047
    quantumsheep said:
    Funnily enough, your issue has just happened to me!

I tried moving my menu scene from Gravitrixx into a new game, knowing full well that a lot of the actors and attributes would have to be remade.

It seems that whenever I opened an actor that I'd moved from Gravitrixx into the new game, the bottom left half of the screen went blank, and everything was unresponsive.

Then GS would crash.

Are you copy and pasting actors/attributes that don't exist into a new game at all like I am? Perhaps that's the problem?

Cheers,

QS :D

This just started happening with me too (over the last few days).
  • xarmianxarmian Member Posts: 124
    Funny.. this just happened to me for the first time today.. what I did was create an instance and unlock it, add a single rule to it, then i decided i wanted to switch the instance to the prototype and copy-and-paste the rule from the instance to the prototype. So I copied the rule in the instance, clicked the "revert to prototype" button, pasted the rule into the prototype, and nothing displayed when I pasted. Then all of a sudden it went wacky - i clicked Add Rule and the new rule went in half-way down the page (as if what I pasted into the actor was there but not visible) and then the weird blank corner thing happened. I tried quitting and re-starting gamesalad with no luck. I then deleted the prototype and created a new one from scratch, and it went back to normal.
    Well it's definitely a bug but it's hard to reproduce it, so it would kind of be difficult to report it.