Tell me something about "categories"

xyloFUNxyloFUN Member Posts: 1,593
Hi,
While working on my apps and focusing on finishing them, I never spent time to research in which categories I should post them.
My apps are not games and basically were meant to get kids started with making music.
I know that there are some very experienced users here who have been publishing for a long time and know the apple app store inside out.
To those who do, I'd like to ask what category would be best for my little instrument collection? Where would peole look for them?
I used keywords and for category I've picked games > children > education and as secondary category I've picked education.

I think I can make changes and specify a better suited category, right?

Comments

• butterbeanbutterbean Member Posts: 4,315
    I think those 2 categories you choose are very suitable.

As far as rankings are concerned, the primary categories are the only ones that count towards ranking, but the secondary category is so people can search for your app under that category under new releases, but it will never show up in the rankings.

So Primary being most important: I would choose either of these 2:

1) a) Education 1) b) Music (Secondary Category can be games: educational, and kids

OR

2) a) Educational 2) b) Kids (Secondary Category under Education or Music)

Hope this helps!
  • xyloFUNxyloFUN Member Posts: 1,593
    Thanks bb,
    i should have asked this question two weeks ago but ever since i've misplaced the keys to my time machine, life is .... different!
    Has anyone changed categories "after" the publishing date? Does that make sense to do?

As butterbean suggested, I'd like to move to education if it's not too late :)