iPhone versus iPad sales

xyloFUNxyloFUN Member Posts: 1,593
Hey,
i've attended another marketing meeting ... interesting stuff to consider and implement!

My question is:
Those of you who develop for iPhone and iPod, could you comment on the sales ratio?
I was told that the ipad is mostly used by middle aged males in the IT or management levels and tied to bragging rights and things like that.
IF that is right, than my instruments, as nice as they look on the larger display, will not generate enough sales to justify the time spent making them in the first place.

Basically, is that iphone where it's at as far as sales goes?

Comments

• gyroscopegyroscope I am here.Member, Sous Chef, PRO Posts: 6,598
    Hi xylo: although I've been using GS for a year/year and a half thereabouts, I still haven't finished any one of my projects yet (but I will, I will...) so my opinion isn't based on sales experience.

But still, a couple of considerations: there are approximately 4 million iPads sold, as compared to well over 50 million iPhones out there. So with an iPhone game, if you sell say as little as 0.1 of the available market, that's 50,000 games sold. compare that with .1 of iPad owners buying the game/app, that's 4,000 shifted (still a respectable amount).

Then there's the consideration fact that you can "dare" to charge more (perhaps double even) for the iPad version than you can for the iPhone game. If you believe the marketing reports, the iPad sales are set to grow year upon year, one estimate stating that there'll be over 10 million units sold worldwide in a year's time. Also, one could consider that the iPad is viewed more as a game-playing machine (amongst other uses of course) than the iPhone, so there will be a bigger percentage 4 mil of iPad than the percentage sold from 50 million. What I'm trying to say is, there are factors involved where it's difficult to get a clear-cut picture/straightforward comparison.

Game style/type would influence it as well, I think. A good game on the iPhone might be perceived as a really good game on the iPad, as there's more screen "real-estate", better sound quality, iPad game users being in a more relaxed position when playing the game, even; etc.

>>> I was told that the ipad is mostly used by middle aged males in the IT or management levels and tied to bragging rights and things like that. <<<

I don't know who told you that, but I think that comment is rubbish (with respect to the person who said it!). My guess is (and only a guess/hunch) that there's a wide cross-section of people who buy the iPad, not just business users. The iPad was/is aimed squarely at the domestic market I believe, although Apple do try to push the "professional" sector to buy as well, this still being the minority.

As for "tied to bragging rights and things like that" I'm not sure what was meant there..."My iPad RAM's bigger than yours" perhaps? ;-)

What did the female iPad say to another iPad? "Does my RAM look big in this?" Hee.

:-)

""You are in a maze of twisty passages, all alike." - Zork        temp domain http://spidergriffin.wix.com/alphaghostapps

• UtopianGamesUtopianGames Member Posts: 5,692
    The only game we have on both devices is red ball of goo (red balls of goo iPad).

We have sold 15,472 units for iPhone and 2,128 for iPad (iPad version was never featured by Apple).

Still worth doing an iPad version imo.

Darren.
  • xyloFUNxyloFUN Member Posts: 1,593
    thanks for your feedback guys,
    @ gyroscope: bragging rights was meant as "i have one and you don't" etc ...

@utopiangames,
    thanks for sharing the numbers. Those are very valuable for many of us!
  • GamersRejoiceGamersRejoice Member Posts: 817
    I've been making my game for the iPad only... I guess I should consider making it for the iPhone too. Now just to figure out how to make it work on a smaller screen.
  • PhoticsPhotics Member Posts: 4,172
    utopiangames said:
    The only game we have on both devices is red ball of goo (red balls of goo iPad).

We have sold 15,472 units for iPhone and 2,128 for iPad (iPad version was never featured by Apple).

Wow... that's a lot of downloads for an app that wasn't featured.

GameSalad should support universal binaries. That would resolve this issue. With Retina Display, the iPhone 4 is not that far away from the iPad. With an option to stretch the screen, or expand the camera, this should be a trivial matter... but sales could increase dramatically.
  • MotherHooseMotherHoose Member Posts: 2,456
    @xyloFUN

I thought of you when I watched this video... think they need your trumpet.... not a middle aged man in sight!

MH
  • xyloFUNxyloFUN Member Posts: 1,593
    ouch!!!
    that hurts to watch :(

When i let kids try my test apps on the ipad, they hit it as if it was a piano key ... even after i explain to them that they only have to touch it!

i love the tambourin guy :)