ARMv7 apps not working on iOS 3

gamesmoldgamesmold Member, PRO Posts: 279
edited November -1 in Tech Support
Hi there,

this is a critical issue, as it brings several trashing reviews by disappointed customers who can't install the app they have paid for.
This probably concerns all GS projects that have checked "ARMv7 required" because their app needs more cpu power or memory:

If you check the ARMv7 box, the app will no longer install on iOS 3.x.
But it will still get an info.plist file with the entry "MinimumOSVersion: 3.0". So it will be available for iOS 3 users, they can buy it, but they can't install it. And then they trash you.

This bug does not occur on the iPad (which runs iOS 3). But it occurs on any iPhone 3GS and iPod 3G with iOS 3.x.

In short: When checking ARMv7, all iOS 3 users with iPhone 3GS and iPod 3G can't install this app.

They'd have to update to iOS 4 - but as they simply get the error message that their "device is incompatible", many will simply delete the app and write an angry review rather than looking up your support site.

My suggestion to GameSalad: If the bug that prevents the ARMv7 app from installation on iOS 3 is too hard to fix, simply change the MinimumOSVersion entry in the info.plist file to "4.0" once ARMv7 is required.

That would be the easiest solution to this critical issue.

Even if there aren't so many iOS3 users left out there, their trashing reviews can harm the app's success significantly.

Best,
Thomas

Comments

• jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408
  • gamesmoldgamesmold Member, PRO Posts: 279
    Did it already.
    To be honest, I've already been discussing this issue with the helpdesk two months ago, when I discovered that bug. But then, in the dialogue with GS, we came to the decision to simply try it out and see if there are any iOS3 users at all who would complain about this. We thought there aren't so many left.

Now I got plenty of sales, and yes, there are several drastic complaints in the reviews of the different app stores.

Don't know how to deal with this now.
    Maybe someone else had the same problem and has found a way to solve this?
    Or how to communicate to the iOS 3 customers what to do?

I probably can't tell Apple to change their entry in "required OS Version".
  • ChaserChaser Member Posts: 1,453
    So this made me realize how come GS new publishing doesn't give me the check box if I want to check armv7. Is GS just forcing it to armv7 or did they out that option as my app Stick Climber had it which showed on iTunes but never did on the iPhones app store which screwed things up anyway

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/stick-climber/id392569079?mt=8
    Whoops! Just goes to show how you could overlook something so obvious especially when I clicked non glossy app.
  • xyloFUNxyloFUN Member Posts: 1,593
    ok so for us new users ....

are we supposed to check that or what is it and what does it do?

The lack of proper documentation is ofter very frustrating.
  • NexusGameStudioNexusGameStudio Member Posts: 265
    xyloFUN said:
    ok so for us new users ....

are we supposed to check that or what is it and what does it do?

The lack of proper documentation is ofter very frustrating.

If you're making a game that requires the more powerful hardware for performance such as an iPhone 3GS, 4, iPad, or Touch 3-4 gen then when you publish there is a check box that says "ArmV7" which means the ArmV7 processors and will only run on devices with it.

That way when its on the store and someone tries to buy it with an older device, it wont allow them, or shouldn't for that matter. Gamesmold is having the problem where users with older devices are able to buy it but not install.
    Ouch!
    I didn't know about that when I submitted my trumpet app last week.
    Should I fix that or leave it alone since the program does not challenge the hardware as it is very basic and simple.
    All actors that don't move have physics disabled and the actors who serve only as buttons are not visible.

Will I be ok?
    @xylo you should be fine
    Finally good news :)

So if I only publish for iPad, I can always check that setting, right?
    xyloFUN said:So if I only publish for iPad, I can always check that setting, right?
    Right, but as there is only ony iPad configuration at the moment, you can check it or leave it away - it will always run fine on the iPad.

The issue above only concerns 3rd Gen iPhones(3GS)/iPods running iOS3.
    OK, the Gamesalad team told me that they are looking into this issue.

But after some reflection, I now believe this can't be solved simply by raising the Minimum OS Version to 4.

The reason is the risk of not being able to add updates any more:
    Apple might reject 4.x-updates to previous 3.x-Apps (e.g. because people who bought on an 3.x-iPad wouldn't be able to install the 4.0-update any more).
    Generally, I believe Apple won't admit any updates that have a higher Minimum OS Version, or do they?
    Does anybody know?

So I see only two alternatives to solve this, what do you think:

a) GS-Developers get a choice wether to set 3.0 or 4.0 as Minimum OS Version (so one can still create updates to old 3.x-Apps, but one can also create bug-free new Apps with 4.x). Maybe by setting a flag using a special variable name in the project or so. Then it could be done server-sided without a new creator build.

b) Simply fixing the ARMv7 builds so they run on iOS 3 systems again. They work on the iPad, so why not on the iPhone/iPod? I'm sure it's just a wrong entry in the info.plist file (one requiring 3.x and one demanding 4.x). And this could also be done server-sided.

Maybe someone has a better idea?

I'm quite anxious about this, as I had to painfully realize how many ARMv7-Devices out there are still running iOS3.
    I'm wondering if anyone else ran into this issue.

Or do you all leave the ARMv7 tag away?
    Cause a non-ARMv7 device has too little memory for a GS app with many graphics and sounds.

So either I leave out the ARMv7 tag and take the risk that my app is run on an iPhone 3G (and crashes due to too little memory) - or I require ARMv7 and take the risk that an iOS3 user buys my app (and it won't install at all).

Didn't anybody else make this experience?
    I'm getting a bit nervous because my next release is coming closer and I don't really know what to do.
    I've had plenty of apps issue updates that require newer versions of the os, when i was still on 3.2, i got an update that required 4.2
    This is good news @ jonmulcahy!
    So if GS would simply change the Info.plist minimum OS version to 4 once ARMv7 is required, then this would be the best solution.

(If they don't find the reason why the ARMv7 apps don't install on iOS3, of course)
  • tenrdrmertenrdrmer Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 9,934
    I would leave it as ARMv7 and say iOS4 tested. if they are having issues with installing it's prob on Apples end and apple shouldn't let them download in the first place. on top of that they can get a refund so its not like they are out there $0.99

Heck even put a disclaimer in there that iOS4+ is required I remember way back on my first iphone it wasnt updated and there was stuff like that that showed up
    No, it's not Apple's issue. An ARMv7 GS app is not compatible with iOS3 but GS writes 3.0 as minimum OS version in the info.plist file.

Of course, I have already added a disclaimer in the store that iOS4 is required. But some people don't read this, they just buy it. I even met people who couldn't tell what OS they have.

Usually, the app store won't let you buy an app that is not compatible with your device or OS.
    But as the info.plist file has a wrong entry, iOS3 users *can* buy the app - though it won't run.
  • Chris FitsimonsChris Fitsimons Member Posts: 134
    Hi

Would it be possible to change the value in plist.info before sending the app to apple?

Beth.

Tis information is way outdated and is going to cause problems. I'm closing this.

And no, you can not update anything after it has been signed.
This discussion has been closed.