btw. Promo Codes don't count for sales anymore

HunnenkoenigHunnenkoenig Member Posts: 1,173
I don't know if you already heard, but just for the record:

Promo Codes don't count anymore as sales, so you can't skyrocket your ranking with dumping your codes quickly.

Now they are only good for getting reviews (as intended).

For getting reviews on iTunes, the best way is still using Promo Dispenser (a bit advertising must be... :-P)

Comments

• gyroscopegyroscope I am here.Member, Sous Chef, PRO Posts: 6,598
    Thanks for the info, Hunnenkoenig. I didn't know about Promo Dispenser either, cheers! :-)

""You are in a maze of twisty passages, all alike." - Zork        temp domain http://spidergriffin.wix.com/alphaghostapps

• NexusGameStudioNexusGameStudio Member Posts: 265
    Promo codes no longer count towards reviews on the App Store. Only actual purchases allow you to review, once you use a promo code, it tells you that only if you have purchased the item, may you review.
  • juzcookjuzcook Member Posts: 259
    over the last few days ive given out a fair few promo codes and people across the world have left reviews, or at least i can see them on appfigures. does that mean they can't be seen on the actual store?
  • HunnenkoenigHunnenkoenig Member Posts: 1,173
    NexusGameStudio said:
    Promo codes no longer count towards reviews on the App Store. Only actual purchases allow you to review, once you use a promo code, it tells you that only if you have purchased the item, may you review.

Please don't spread false infos.

I don't know, what you have read but you totally misunderstood, what is written.

If you own the app, you can review it. No matter if you own it by purchase or downloading with promo codes.

On promo dispenser people often contact us, that itunes says, you have to own it.

In 99% of cases people download it on their device and try to review on iTunes without syncing the app into itunes.

You have to review there, where you downloaded, unless you synced everything.

If you downloaded on itunes, you have to review on itunes. If you downloaded on device, you have to review on appstore.
    that would make sense, because promo codes are no different to gifting when it comes to the receiver downloading it!
    Reviews can be seen on the appstore, where they were written.

You don't see a review written in italy, if you look at the US appstore for example.
    oh yeah im well aware of that. i was mostly going by what nexus said as i cant see the actual US store from here in aus unless i change my settings in itunes!
  • NexusGameStudioNexusGameStudio Member Posts: 265
    Im speaking from experience. I used to be able to leave reviews from promo codes and from purchases. Now when I use a promo code and try to leave a review on the same device, it states that reviews can only be left if I purchased the item. When I look at the app in the store, it states that it is "Purchased".

However, this was about a week and a half ago, I revoke my previous statement for now it works when I just tried to leave a review again now. Apologies.
  • butterbeanbutterbean Member Posts: 4,315
    @Hunn: I thought that was the case! I was wondering why some of my apps weren't increasing in rank as they once did, but it all makes sense now! :)
  • jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408
    Thanks for the tip, it will definitely change the way I deal with codes
  • bluelotusbluelotus Member Posts: 96
    You can still review an app if you use a promo code. You have to hit "buy app" and it will ask you if you really want to buy the app. Say yes and it will tell you that you already own it. Say ok and it will start to download again. Just cancel the download once it starts (or just let it go) and then you can leave a review :)
  • gazjmgazjm Member Posts: 578
    I made a post informing this about 3 weeks ago after doing some digging around when 30 downloads with promocodes didn't affect my ranking. but at least reviews still count!
  • OrochiOrochi Member Posts: 30
    You 100% CAN review with a promo code. I've done it as recently as Wednesday. It can take from 24 hours to a few days before the store let's you through and posts it, though. I also keep the app on my device until I've gotten the review published. I'm not sure if that has anything to do with anything, but it's what I do. Hope this helps. :)
    gazjm said:
    I made a post informing this about 3 weeks ago

Oh sorry, I didn't see it.
  • gazjmgazjm Member Posts: 578
    it's ok, I don't think anyone did, it just fell into the oblivion of the gs forum pages!haha. good job you posted it again!