Why bother making iphone games?

StormyStudioStormyStudio United KingdomMember Posts: 3,989
"Why bother making iphone games?"

This is the question a friend asked me at lunch time today.

Hinting that they would rather spend there time watching TV, reading the paper or sleeping. And couldn't understand how I can face sitting at a computer screen in the evening after a solid day at my computer at work.

I came back with:

"Well to me its like having a lottery ticket with a bit of control, the more effort you put in the more chance you have of winning the jackpot'.

So I thought it would be interesting to find out why the rest of you 'bother' putting the effort in.

We could just be sitting back and chilling, but instead choose to find ourselves pushing our limits, both mentally, graphically and creatively. Plus a bit of geeky socializing on this forum.

Do you do it for the love of making games, the dream of getting rich, just the fun of a project, the hope of just a bit of extra cash each month from sales?

Comments

• ZackGSZackGS Member Posts: 313
    I do it for the love of making games and the hope of making enough money to live a nice life on, rich would be nice but it takes a lot of luck :)
  • MagoNicolasMagoNicolas Member, PRO Posts: 2,090
    I Workaholic, lol, Can`t stay there Watching Tv and doing NOTHING!
    I need to think all da and DO things. so this is perfect, When I have time, I make games (And I have a LOT of time).
    And I like to create games for people, and watch the reviews all around the world. (Love making games)
    Also, the money, I win some money… not that much…. but is more than if I don`t do this, and… As you sayd… Lottery Ticket! (Also dream to be rich)
    And fun of the Proyect! Lol!
  • RiffelRiffel Member Posts: 1,272
    same boat here. for more then 10 years I do eletronic games ( realy start on Z80 in 80s), now I get some money :-)
  • AasimarAasimar Member Posts: 74
    hehe, great question!

I'm working in a videogame studio in France who made the MMORPG DOFUS.
    All the day, I'm a level & graphic designer for this game.

But... it's not my game, it's not my style, it's not my money.
    The game is the most popular MMO in france, before World of Warcraft.

Every night, i telling to me : Why you don't made your own game ?
    Yep! My first videogame coming soon !

Not for money (but it's cool), not for popularity, juste to do my own game.

Game design, developpement, level design, graphics, music, ergonomy, just for the challenge... And it's very very cool.

And yes, i'm pretty geek. hahaha

S.
  • CodeMonkeyCodeMonkey Head Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 1,803
    To change that "spending time watching TV on a 20" TV" to a "spending time watching TV on a 150" Blue Ray Projector with theater lazy boy seating and surround sound while eating Kim Chi Lobster tacos".
  • StormyStudioStormyStudio United KingdomMember Posts: 3,989
    Wow! Codemonkey...you set your heights pretty high....

I'd be happy with 124" Blu Ray Projector, Lazy Boy, surround sound. And I've never heard of the 'Kim Chi Lobster Tacos' over here in the UK, so add a private jet flight over to the U.S. for some Taco's to my list.
  • AasimarAasimar Member Posts: 74
    And by the way, i love my iPhone, that's a reason.
  • CodeMonkeyCodeMonkey Head Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 1,803
    No idea if anyone has made Kim Chi Lobster Tacos, but there are Korean spicy pork tacos that we eat around here. :)
  • MotherHooseMotherHoose Member Posts: 2,456
    CodeMonkey said:
    No idea if anyone has made Kim Chi Lobster Tacos, but there are Korean spicy pork tacos that we eat around here. :)

well... now you gotta try pork rinds, CodeMonkey!

I love to play games! and the hardest game I can play... is Making-A-Game!
    the task lists are long... the details of sound and graphics sometimes difficult to find..
    and no Monster is as tough to beat as my BadCode.

MH
  • azavegaazavega Member Posts: 362
    I do it cause I like to create stuff... and I love games. Also I like the challenge of putting my brain to work cause we got it there for a purpose, not just to fill it up with advertisement and crap...lol
    Like computers to and all you can do with them, so if that make's me a geek to... welcome!!!
    As well as make some money in my spare time... ( Hope to get a ticket of that lottery thing... lol )
    @MotherHoose....

I like your viewpoint, I often get into work and other animators are talking about how they got stuck playing 'Modern Warfare 2' the night before and I'm like "yeah, I know what you mean I spent 2 hours last night stuck on this one bit of GameSalad.'....

Its definitely filled the previous game playing slot in my life. Apart from when I download an iphone game and play for a bit, before I start thinking how I could mimic some aspect of its gameplay or improve upon it using GameSalad.

(I still think with enough effort and polish you could make a near identical Angry Birds game, with camera moves, physics and animation. Might need a faster GameSalad engine to get it run as smoothly...)
  • HunnenkoenigHunnenkoenig Member Posts: 1,173
    I do it to be able to make my real dream games.
    iPhone development is for getting money for the big projects.
    @Hunn

Big projects? Like some super evil secret island to start your world domination?, or start your own full blown computer games company? or buy a animal hospital?
  • griffilmsgriffilms Member Posts: 43
    stormystudio said:
    @MotherHoose....

(I still think with enough effort and polish you could make a near identical Angry Birds game, with camera moves, physics and animation. Might need a faster GameSalad engine to get it run as smoothly...)

I think the gamesalad engine is quick enough as it is... just finished our Angry Birds challenger (!): http://www.griffilms.com/spacewolves.html :)
  • butterbeanbutterbean Member Posts: 4,315
    "Why bother making iphone games?"

I could list so many more reasons to make them than to not.

I guess your friend doesn't understand the opportunity you have in making them like you said.

Don't get me wrong, I love spending time playing video games, but I would never let that suffer my working on apps and games.

I think it's very rewarding, fun, and so fabulous to see your stuff in stores.
  • SnowSnow Member Posts: 124
    At first I thought this was a thread about the iPhone as a game platform. I heavily criticized Tommy Refenes of Team Meat when he said that the iPhone as a gaming platform is no more than a Tiger Electronics handheld game from the 80's.

The truth is however, that he is right. The iphone SUCKS as a gaming platform. Other than using tilt controls, you have your thumbs or fingers blocking the screen, the screen is too small and compared to a computer, it is a low end system. Some games like Sonic 4 and Deathworm look and work great on the device, but probably took a lot of optimization to work. However, if I'm going to play a game like Sonic 4, which would I rather: play it on a tiny screen with my thumbs in the way and awkward controls or on a large HD tv with a proper controller? Controller and tv please.

The iphone is nice for playing time-waster casual games. There are a few good casual games out there. I myself like casual games to a point. I can make em but barely play them. I got bored with Angry Birds, even though it is a good game.

So why am "I" making iphone games? Because I want money, so that I can quit working for the man and work for myself making the games I want. That's not to say I'm going to make crappy games that I think are going to make a quick buck, but I know there is a limit of quality.

My partner and I were discussing how it's easy to invest months and months of quality art/sound and gameplay design into a game that could fall into the dark depths of the market very fast and all that work would be for nothing.

Rather our focus is to make mobile games that are more than worth the $0.99 we'll be selling for. They have to be good quality and fun. We're just not going to put in gorgeous hand-painted backgrounds, complex (to make) menu systems, deep story, etc.

But, yeah, because of the limitations of the system, based on the types of casual games that are popular on mobile platforms, and that for the most part people are more interested in a 2 minute time waster than a deep 50 hour rpg, we're keeping things simple and moderate and saving most of our creative energy for larger projects.

The adobe market will be opening up soon and I happen to have a free developer account with the AIR sdk, so we plan on making a rich and deep platformer in Flash (or flex).

Also, I just want to say, that despite my opinion about the iPhone as a gaming device, I am still quite impressed with what this community has been creating with GameSalad. I'm especially looking forward to Space Wolves. :P
  • HunnenkoenigHunnenkoenig Member Posts: 1,173
    stormystudio said:
    @Hunn

Big projects? Like some super evil secret island to start your world domination?, or start your own full blown computer games company? or buy a animal hospital?

First the full blown computer game company, then the secret island :-P

Maybe later an animal hospital too... I am hesitating between that and an animal experiment laboratory :-P
  • scitunesscitunes Member, Sous Chef Posts: 4,047
    I love the combination of music. art, and math. I can't think of anything that allows you to use those three things to create whatever you can imagine.
    Sci tunes , you make it all sound very cultured. Obviously we also all listen to opera whilst enjoying the maths, music and art.
  • chicopchicop Member Posts: 263
    because its way more fun then watching tv!
  • scitunesscitunes Member, Sous Chef Posts: 4,047
    stormystudio said:
    Sci tunes , you make it all sound very cultured. Obviously we also all listen to opera whilst enjoying the maths, music and art.

LOL, I guess that came out kind of funny. I also really like wearing sweat pants.

Oh, and I prefer phish