Game Play Time

rdcuberdcube Member Posts: 361
edited November -1 in Introductions
Hi to all,
I was wondering about what average play time, a 99 cent game could be?
I know it depends on the kind of game (platform, puzzle, etc), but I was thinking, would someone spend 99 cents on a game with less than 10 levels which should be about 10~30 minutes total play time before you win; or 100 level game which could take a couple of hours.

At a personal level, I don't have a lot of time (and the time I have I'm spending learning gamesalad). I install/uninstall a bunch of games before I get bored or finish it.

Due to the lack of a 'high score' or 'save' mechanism right now, I don't think people would want a long time consuming game, when they know they'll lose all their progress if they quit the game (could that end up in bad reviews?).

1. In average how long are gamesalad developers making their games in play time.
2. In average how long is the time span of a person playing a game on an iphone.
3. Only quality and game play is important regardless of how long it takes to finish it (even if it's under 30 minutes).

Any feedback is always appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• butterbeanbutterbean Member Posts: 4,315
    I think quality is better than quantity in the end, and I was thinking about this same thing last night.

I'm making a platformer for example, and I'm trying to keep it under 10mb. To do that, I probably will only be able to squeeze 15-20 levels in there, so I'm making it a bit challenging.

So in total, I'm hoping to squeeze 30 minutes of gameplay in there for an advanced player to reach the end.

There are limitations to the iphone player, I don't think players on the iphone on average, or even the itouch will spend a whole lot of time, or expect hours of gameplay in a game.

If they want that, they can go spend 30-50 dollars on any console titles in the store

I think at 99c, 30 minutes of gameplay that is quality, fun, and even has beautiful visuals is more than value :)