GameSalad and Mac OS X 10.5

YodapolloYodapollo Inactive, Chef Emeritus Posts: 447
edited November -1 in News from the Dev Team
To all GameSalad developers,

We’re in super crunch mode here at GameSalad HQ, and the new update is just about ready. It is still scheduled to launch concurrently with our new membership program and it’s pretty impressive in terms of improvements. I did want to take a moment, however, to share a little information with you on the new update.

Starting with this next release, GameSalad will no longer be compatible with Mac OS X 10.5. We’ve supported Leopard for a long time, but Apple no longer supports 10.5 to an extent that makes it feasible for us to continue as well. Apple’s development tools no longer function on 10.5, including the code-signing tools required to build a proper binary for the iOS App Store.

By dropping OS X 10.5, we’ll have more development time to focus on improvements for the Creator within 10.6 and even start looking ahead to and taking advantage of the features of Mac OS X 10.7 Lion.

We understand that some of you may still be using 10.5 in order to make games for the website or Mac OS. If you are still running 10.5 Leopard, we urge you to take the time and upgrade to 10.6 now. Trust us, it’s quite an improvement.

To upgrade to Mac OS X 10.6, check the link below.

Mac OS X version 10.6.3 Snow Leopard

Mahalo.

Comments

• expired_012expired_012 Member Posts: 1,802
    Thanks for the heads up!

...thankfully I already upgraded to snow leopard :)
  • Rob2Rob2 Member Posts: 2,402
    Makes perfect sense..thanks for the hup.
  • MagoNicolasMagoNicolas Member, PRO Posts: 2,090
    Please tell us an approximation of release date, for example, between tomorrow and nov 13.
    So we can plan and release games with the update or before.

Thanks for the info.
  • dotsonj23dotsonj23 Member Posts: 316
    Nice to know. But why not actually also give us some of the other details that people have been asking for (or even just one detail).
  • ChunkypixelsChunkypixels Member Posts: 1,114
    Yup... this is starting to get a bit tedious now.

GameSalad obviously knows what its new subscription model and payment system is going to be, so why not just give everyone the details instead of playing games with us.

I dont see the need for having to release everything at once.... surely giving us the full details of the new subscription model, and even a list of what the new update includes, ahead of their release gives the community time to digest the information, instead of dragging things out, and turning it into a bit of a frenzy all at once.

Yoda told us recently that the release, and new subs were a week away.... then in a follow up post that turned into " the coming weeks".... now its "just about ready"... so maybe its about time to just give us some solid/useful info for once.
  • butterbeanbutterbean Member Posts: 4,315
    Glad I upgraded to Snow Leopard awhile ago too!
  • ChaserChaser Member Posts: 1,453
    Yodapollo said:
    To all GameSalad developers,

By dropping OS X 10.5, we’ll have more development time to focus on improvements for the Creator within 10.6 and even start looking ahead to and taking advantage of the features of Mac OS X 10.7 Lion.

We understand that some of you may still be using 10.5 in order to make games for the website or Mac OS. If you are still running 10.5 Leopard, we urge you to take the time and upgrade to 10.6 now. Trust us, it’s quite an improvement.

To upgrade to Mac OS X 10.6, check the link below.

Mac OS X version 10.6.3 Snow Leopard

Mahalo.

Are you saying GS will not work with 10.5 or you just won't support it.
  • StusAppsStusApps Member, PRO Posts: 1,352
    and at $29 it's hardly gonna break the bank.
  • CapCap Member Posts: 225
    I posted this in another thread some weeks ago: I had a lot of problems with GS 8.9 (some of my projects didn't work anymore, GS crashed while loading). Things only got better by upgrading from Leopard to Snow Leopard. That fixed the bugs.
    I can recommend Snow Leopard to anyone. The startup time is much shorter, the overall stability is better and so on. And it's very, very cheap, too.
  • gyroscopegyroscope I am here.Member, Sous Chef, PRO Posts: 6,598
    I've been meaning to upgrade the OS for quite a while now; my only worry is that my version of Adobe Photoshop + Illustrator (CS2) won't run in Snow Leopard. Although I've a vague memory of someone confirming (QS, I think) that it will run OK...

Think I'll take the plunge anyway and see what happens there... encouraged by the words of @Cap in the post above!

Thanks for the heads up, Yodapollo.

:-)

""You are in a maze of twisty passages, all alike." - Zork        temp domain http://spidergriffin.wix.com/alphaghostapps

• Martin14Martin14 Member Posts: 109
    I have my snow leopard... So now just wait !!!!! On more week?? Or one day? Please mpr details !!!!
  • EminemEminem Member Posts: 667
    AWSOME CANT WAIT FOR THE UPDATE!
  • iDeveloperiDeveloper Member Posts: 441
    Glad GS is finally starting good communication.

Thanks for the update.

Question: Is "Snap-2-Grid" or some form of guides included?
    Thanks!
    ??
  • YodapolloYodapollo Inactive, Chef Emeritus Posts: 447
    @Chaser

As far as 10.5 goes, we are not supporting it. I'm not saying it won't run in Leopard, but I wouldn't expect any crashes/bugs that are unique to Leopard to be fixed. The upcoming release of GameSalad is designed for 10.6 and above. It may be possible to run on 10.5, but we wouldn't recommend it and we are not supporting it. I hope that answers your question.

@iDeveloper

Thanks! We're working on some communication changes that I'm very excited about and include me getting to say a little more than I've been able to do in the past. In fact, you can expect to see a lot more of us here, as well as Facebook and Twitter very soon.

@Chunkypixels

I understand your frustration and we're making some changes to improve on that front. I made a special announcement about the change is basic requirements specifically because it is solid/useful info. If those members of our community were not aware of the change before the release, they stood a very good chance of downloading software that wouldn't work properly with their system.

As for other information, such a membership levels, we're still tweaking some details and, at the same time, trying to fix a couple of lingering bugs in the Creator that we really want to get resolved with this next release. I wouldn't want to give details that would later turn out to be untrue. I'm sorry if that's meant I've been more on the vague side of things.

@Everyone!

We were hoping to launch this week, but as I said above, we're still trying to resolve a couple of lingering bugs we really want to get fixed in this release. I can't commit to firm date, but we're almost there and I'd like to thank the entire community for their patience.

Mahalo.

--Yodapollo
    "We were hoping to launch this week" pleaseeee !!!!!! :):)
  • beefy_clyrobeefy_clyro Member Posts: 5,390
    Excellent :) Dont worry, no1 should hold you to ransom, you want to release it this week but we'd rather wait another if it ironed out those bugs you're referring too!
  • outsidethebyteoutsidethebyte Member Posts: 115
    Can't wait! Way to go GameSalad!
    Thanks Yoda!
  • giacomopoppigiacomopoppi Member, PRO Posts: 914
    Great news Yoda!

Wooohhooooo!!!
  • WeswogWeswog Member Posts: 1,171
    This is great news! I also cant wait to use the new version :)

Cheers, Weswog
  • Koda89Koda89 Member Posts: 275
    Well...!@#$%.

Welp, I'm not making any more games until early 2011.

I'm stuck with Leopard and have no money to upgrade to Snow Leopard(I have $36 dollars, and that has to last me until January).
  • gyroscopegyroscope I am here.Member, Sous Chef, PRO Posts: 6,598
    I've upgraded to Snow Leopard at long last; just thought I'd write to say that my Photoshop and Illustrator CS2 versions work just fine still. (Possibly a bit slower? Could be because it has to go via Rosetta which is installed with 10.6.3, if you didn't know).

Anyhow, you were right QS; thanks!

""You are in a maze of twisty passages, all alike." - Zork        temp domain http://spidergriffin.wix.com/alphaghostapps

• jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408
    Koda89 said:
    Well...!@#$%.

Welp, I'm not making any more games until early 2011.

I'm stuck with Leopard and have no money to upgrade to Snow Leopard(I have $36 dollars, and that has to last me until January).

will you get any sort of payment from apple this month?
    jonmulcahy said:
    will you get any sort of payment from apple this month?

Nope. My last game, CycloBounce, despite possibly my most aggressive marketing campaign ever and glowing reviews from everyone who played the game, sold like crap.

I haven't made any games since then, and now won't be able to for a bit.
  • quantumsheepquantumsheep Member Posts: 8,188
    gyroscope said:
    I've upgraded to Snow Leopard at long last; just thought I'd write to say that my Photoshop and Illustrator CS2 versions work just fine still. (Possibly a bit slower? Could be because it has to go via Rosetta which is installed with 10.6.3, if you didn't know).

Anyhow, you were right QS; thanks!

I'm always right!

(it's a curse)

Glad it worked - you'll also find there's an extra 8gig of hard drive space you'll have got back after installing snow leopard :D

It's a win-win all round really!

QS :D

Dr. Sam Beckett never returned home...
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Quantum_Sheep
    Web: https://quantumsheep.itch.io

when Gamesalad 0.9 ???
  • SparkyidrSparkyidr Member Posts: 2,033
    Martin14 said:
    when Gamesalad 0.9 ???

that my friend...is the gazillion dollar question!
    Yodapollo said:
    @Chaser

As far as 10.5 goes, we are not supporting it. I'm not saying it won't run in Leopard, but I wouldn't expect any crashes/bugs that are unique to Leopard to be fixed. The upcoming release of GameSalad is designed for 10.6 and above. It may be possible to run on 10.5, but we wouldn't recommend it and we are not supporting it. I hope that answers your question.

@iDeveloper

Thanks! We're working on some communication changes that I'm very excited about and include me getting to say a little more than I've been able to do in the past. In fact, you can expect to see a lot more of us here, as well as Facebook and Twitter very soon.

@Chunkypixels

I understand your frustration and we're making some changes to improve on that front. I made a special announcement about the change is basic requirements specifically because it is solid/useful info. If those members of our community were not aware of the change before the release, they stood a very good chance of downloading software that wouldn't work properly with their system.

As for other information, such a membership levels, we're still tweaking some details and, at the same time, trying to fix a couple of lingering bugs in the Creator that we really want to get resolved with this next release. I wouldn't want to give details that would later turn out to be untrue. I'm sorry if that's meant I've been more on the vague side of things.

@Everyone!

We were hoping to launch this week, but as I said above, we're still trying to resolve a couple of lingering bugs we really want to get fixed in this release. I can't commit to firm date, but we're almost there and I'd like to thank the entire community for their patience.

Mahalo.

--Yodapollo

Well Yodapollo, I can confirm for you that 0.9.0 will NOT work on 10.5. It won't even load. Keeps crashing as soon as it launches.

So I guess I won't be seeing you guys until the new year for sure now.
    @koda89
    Same for me
This discussion has been closed.