Next Release, the Web Side.

adent42adent42 Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 3,067
edited November -1 in News from the Dev Team
How goes?

Taking a break from my furious coding schedule, I wanted to give ya'll some insight into the next version of GameSalad from the web perspective.

One of the most worst pain points that you guys have (that I can do something about as the web guy) is not being able to create apps while the server is down for maintenance (or even for content updates). While progress sometimes seem slow to you, our days are often running at a breakneck pace with the number of hats we juggle. One of the results is the rather wonky server system you are experience today. Right now, everything on gamesalad.com runs on a single web server as a single large app.

With this coming release we'll be splitting the services into multiple apps to give us more flexibility. We're also updating to the latest version of our web framework of choice (Groovy on Grails).

What does this mean for you?

Well, first off, it means less down time. Even if gamesalad.com is down for content updates, you'll still be able to publish games. We're also making a few changes to our packaging/publishing process that will translate into faster app generation, the ability for YOU to enter data for "/ontheappstore" pages and proper archival of your apps, should you need a backup.

Unfortunately, I don't think all of the website's current functionality will make if over in time, but that will come rather quickly as the re-architecture is stabilized. This also means (unless someone invents a time dilator), that publishing with 0.8.9 and previous versions will no longer work.

You probably wouldn't want to use 0.8.9 anyway, with all the engine improvements we've made with 0.9.0. We did a test on a rather complex game a partner studio is working on and it ran well on a iPod Touch 1st gen. Load times have also improved in many cases.

Back to the web site, this will also mean a rather solid block of down time as I migrate data from one server to another. I think you'll agree that once things are done, the down time will be well worth it. So if you see the site go down for a while, start holding your breath for our new release! (Unless you see the whole domain disappear again... that just means there's another storm killing our data center).

Rest assured, the development staff is hunched over our keyboards, furiously typing away to bring you this new release. We're taking a bit longer than we expected. Last week's announcement has cause a bit of gear shifting and our QA staff is getting much bolder about bringing important bugs to our attention (I guess that's what happens when you feed them).

Let me know if you enjoy these insights, and I'll try to make a habit of writing these once in a while. If you have anything you want to know about our web operations, let me know here and I'll either get back to you, or make it a topic for next time.

Until then keep the faith, your nose to the grindstone, your mice at ready, and a good supply of canned foods for the coming zombie apocalypse.

Comments

• ToastKittenToastKitten Member Posts: 360
    adent42 said:
    You probably wouldn't want to use 0.8.9 anyway, with all the engine improvements we've made with 0.9.0. We did a test on a rather complex game a partner studio is working on and it ran well on a iPod Touch 1st gen. Load times have also improved in many cases.

<3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3
  • DhondonDhondon Member Posts: 717
    Thanks for the info:) Any form for info or communication is greatly appreciated. I think my new favorite color is yellow:D
  • SethsAppsSethsApps Member, PRO Posts: 328
    Just wondering how long the website will be down when the servers are transferred over? Also, when the servers go down are you going to couple the website update with the 0.9.0 update too? That would be extremely generous of you!
  • scitunesscitunes Member, Sous Chef Posts: 4,047
    Thanks for the info!
  • EminemEminem Member Posts: 667
    Awsome can't wait! :D

I LoVE Gamesalad!
  • WeswogWeswog Member Posts: 1,171
    Thank you so much I am really happy and cant wait for the update :)

Cheers, Weswog
  • ChaserChaser Member Posts: 1,453
    Thanks! My waiting is frustrating HUN
  • JackBQuickJackBQuick Member Posts: 524
    Thank you. I'm really looking forward to the update.
  • NexusGameStudioNexusGameStudio Member Posts: 265
    ToastKitten said:
    <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

My thoughts exactly. Thanks for the update adent, it's nice to have insight on how things are handled.
  • RondoRocketRondoRocket Member Posts: 411
    In regards to your poll... I think most people in the GS community would agree that any info you have time to post is greatly appreciated - web or engine related.
  • SnowSnow Member Posts: 124
    Question for you adent (and yes the answer is 42, but what is the question):

You said you ran a rather complex game on a 1st gen device. I'm in the middle of an interesting project at the moment, making a game aimed at the 3rd and 4th gen. I was stress testing GameSalad on a vmware image of snow leopard (I know I'm evil, but I do own macs). I need to be able to have 300 to 600 instances of an actor that only changes color when touched by the main actor. I tested 300 instances at 32x32 each and then at 8x8 each (on vm) and it ran smoothly much to my surprise. Each one changed color and though the fps must have been around 12 to 15, it didn't crash and ran smoothly otherwise. There were no collision actors yet though - I imagine I could have up to 100 collidable objects within a scene. How possible is this within 0.9.0? I know I'm really pushing the limits, but if I can get this to work, I've got something good for you all, since after that game is published, I would like to either release the game project or make tutorials.
  • JGary321JGary321 Member Posts: 1,246
    I believe this sums up how I feel about your posts quite nicely:

Yellow - it's my new obsession
    Yellow - it's not even a question,
    Yellow - on the lips of your lover
    (oh)
    'Cause Yellow is the love you discover

Yellow - as the bing on your cherry
    Yellow - 'cause you are so very
    Yellow - it's the color of passion
    Ah, 'cause today it just goes with the fashion

Yellow - it was love at first sight
    Yeah, Yellow - when I turn out the light
    And Yellow gets me high as a kite
    And I think everything is going to be all right
    No matter what we do tonight

You could be my flamingo
    'Cause Yellow - it's the new kinda of lingo
    Yellow - like a deco umbrella (!@#$%)
    It's kink that you don't ever tell her

Yellow - it was love at first sight
    And Yellow when I turn out the light
    Yellow gets me high as a kite
    And I think everything is going to be all right

Yeah!

I want to be your lover
    I, I wanna wrap you in rubber
    As Yellow as the sheets that we lay on
    'Cause Yellow - it's my favorite crayon

Yeah!

Yellow - it was love at first sight (yeah)
    Yellow - when I turn out the light
    Yellow - it's like red but not quite
    And I think, everything is going to be all right
  • beefy_clyrobeefy_clyro Member Posts: 5,390
    Thanks, all communication is good, it lets us know your there and care :)
  • IsabelleKIsabelleK Member, Sous Chef Posts: 2,807
    Nice, but...

...when it will be avaiable? It hasn't to be exact date, but when? Next week? Next month? Next year?

Because my game is finished and I don't know if I should wait or not. But I wouldn't like to wait too long.
  • MotherHooseMotherHoose Member Posts: 2,456
    Love when you talk to me, Baby!

MH
  • ToastKittenToastKitten Member Posts: 360
    TheMoonwalls said:
    Nice, but...

...when it will be avaiable? It hasn't to be exact date, but when? Next week? Next month? Next year?

Because my game is finished and I don't know if I should wait or not. But I wouldn't like to wait too long.

Well since the appstore is going to freeze for the holidays, I'd say go ahead and at least get it sent off to apple for approval
  • SparkyidrSparkyidr Member Posts: 2,033
    :o)

thanks for the interesting info. Good to know there are going to be changes going on that don't just relate to the actual tool itself, but some nice back end improvements.

Fairly pointless poll, as everyone is bound to say "yes" though.

Thought you guys might at least have announced what the new subscription tiers/costs were going to be

As someone else has already asked, even a ROUGH eta would be nice.
    Most of us have games in the works, and many seem to have stuff nearing completion. Do we live with the performance as it is now and go ahead and release.....or is the update close enough that we wait for this seemingly massive exciting performance boost you have just told us about?
    Days???weeks????months???
  • jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408
    Yes, with the holiday season coming up, MANY users are going to try and get their games wrapped up and finished to submit before the holiday lockdowns to hopefully ride the New and Noteworthy freeze.

It would be extremely beneficial to know if they should push ahead and submit under .8.9 or wait for .9.

I know you guys have been slaving since early september, but it'd be nice to have some idea of what's going on.
  • SparkyidrSparkyidr Member Posts: 2,033
    don't be scared of telling us that it's not going to be any time soon.
    It's the info we need, more than the actual update!
  • MagoNicolasMagoNicolas Member, PRO Posts: 2,090
    Please Tell us when You will release the uPdate!
  • RacetotheMoonRacetotheMoon Member Posts: 323
    As almost always with software development, getting a steadfast schedule is near to impossible, and that's simply due to all the unknown variables which are bound to crop up.

It would appear GS is working 6-7 days 'crunch' schedule as well to get it done. Which is really hard on a dev team. So I believe its best to classify this update as a 'when it's done' update. Despite all our hopes and dreams, there's little to no use having them rush it out any time before then, because I'm sure each and every one of us would rather have the engine working fast, and bug free, than 'out right now'. Which is difficult for me to say as I really hoped to have my game submitted next week.. but if I have to wait until after the holiday, then so be it.

Keep fighting the good fight GS, it's appreciated.
  • tenrdrmertenrdrmer Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 9,934
    Just outta curiosity. When is this lockdown deadline you speak of?
  • vegasmike1vegasmike1 Member Posts: 192
    Congrats GS folks, I think that this is the number one BEST communication we have had. It means that you are thinking of us and that you realize communication is the key. Being proactive like you have done is going to elevate your company to the best it can be. We all know money drives the train, but until now we did not know when the train was leaving or if it was taking new track. Now we have some ideas of why some problems might arise. My thanks.
    Mike
  • TwistedMechTwistedMech Member Posts: 408
    i am really hoping that issues with memory leaks is resolved or some kind on debug trace system is made available in the next release. i have a number of projects which crash on the device (random) and have no way to trace the problems. Maybe if there is some kind of debug wiki, that will help.
  • quantumsheepquantumsheep Member Posts: 8,188
    *waves* hello Mr. 42 :D

Great to hear from you! I have a concern though:
    adent42 said:
    Unfortunately, I don't think all of the website's current functionality will make if over in time, but that will come rather quickly as the re-architecture is stabilized. This also means (unless someone invents a time dilator), that publishing with 0.8.9 and previous versions will no longer work.

Traditionally you've given us a week's leeway to publish under the old version of GS, for those of us wrapping up a game with the old version once the new version has been released.

I get that you don't think we'll want to use the old version, but again, traditionally, most people's games are affected in an adverse manner due to bugs with the new version.

Bugs are to be expected of course, and we point them out and you fix them! Hurrah!

What concerns me is that my game will be finished in the next couple of days (hurrah again!) and I'd like to publish under the current system as I *know* that works.

I don't want to be delayed and have to potentially go through 100 levels trying to find a bug that crops up due to the new system!

From the bits I've quoted, it seems we can't publish under the old system once the new one goes live.

Is this the case?

Cheers, and good luck with the release!

QS :D

Dr. Sam Beckett never returned home...
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Quantum_Sheep
    Web: https://quantumsheep.itch.io

• CapCap Member Posts: 225
    Hum... I'm not able to vote or to show the poll results. I click on it, but nothing happens. Latest Snow Leopard, latest Safari.
    By the way, I would agree with the guy that posted the Aerosmith song. :-)
  • LAdrianLAdrian Member Posts: 237
    I'm in the same situation with QS... even though my game is very simple i'm afraid to publish it with a version of the software that it wasn't tested on. So while I'm impatient to use the new version for the other game I would like to use the current one for this game that I will finish now - it doesn't even need pause :)
  • PhoticsPhotics Member Posts: 4,172
    The website seems to be loading slowly. Perhaps the GameSalad team is working on something.
  • IsabelleKIsabelleK Member, Sous Chef Posts: 2,807
    I think not. For me GS website is loading as quick as always.
  • tenrdrmertenrdrmer Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 9,934
    I'm also in the same boat finally just about wrapped up. Should i go ahead and publish or wait? It's my first game so i don't know. Also when does the apps store close down for the holidays. I would like to know if i even have time to finish up before then.