Introducing: iDev Arena!

SethsAppsSethsApps Member, PRO Posts: 328
edited November -1 in Miscellaneous
I have been working the past few weeks on a concept and website for developers (mainly here on GameSalad) that would become the ultimate developer resource! Here are some of the features it will be offering to all who choose to visit it:

- Library of over 2,000 non-copywritten sound effects (more added daily) for your use
- Library of images to use for your games, also non-copywritten
- Forum to discuss game ideas and review eachothers games plus give feedback on sanples they post
- Beta section where you can have users sign up to test your game out before it goes live in the app store
- Sample projects to reference to
- Tutorials may be added
- Ability to make a page for your company displaying your work
- App of the month spotlight on front of site for more popularity

There if course will be more features added but for now I just need to know two things. First, would anyone be interested in participating in a site like this? (money is not in question) And secondly, obviously the site needs to be funded somehow so would you rather the site be free and run by ads that developers pay for or everything be locked up (except the beta section) and only accessible to someone who pays a $10/year ($30/lifetime) membership fee?

I hope everyone likes the idea! Im hoping it will be a hit and if you have any more suggestions please comment!

Comments

• ZackGSZackGS Member Posts: 313
    Sounds good :)
  • SethsAppsSethsApps Member, PRO Posts: 328
    Thanks ID, any thoughts on the payment options? Subscription or ad supported? Would everyone be willig to pay $10/year or $30/lifetime?
  • MotherHooseMotherHoose Member Posts: 2,456
    Good Luck with this Seth! Sounds nice.

myself, depending on the quality of the assets you will make available, I would prefer a paid site that was just for members.

MH
    Thanks MotherHoose, the sounds and images will be of top quality so the $10/$30 dollars is automatically made up for ice you start using the site.
  • johanclevejohancleve Member Posts: 24
    I would choose for revenue through banners. Maybe you could make parts of it payable. Like the page you suggested where developers can add a developer page to promote their apps.

Is there already a url we can go to? If I can help let me know.
    If you would like to help email me at: Seth@sethsapps.com and say what you can do for the site. I will be posting a URL as soon as I get home today, I just need to make sure we have enough interest because it's a big investment.

Thanks for your suggestion Johan!
  • giacomopoppigiacomopoppi Member, PRO Posts: 914
    I like the image/sound library idea!
    Why don't you pair up with Tshirt and make a unique site?

Also it would be good if people could upload their own images to be used for free and commercially in games. (is that the idea?)

:D
    Thanks for the suggestion poppi! I will consult tshirtbooth about the idea and hopefully the site can be a big hit paired with gshelper! If you read this post Tshirt send me an email and we can discuss it more.
  • mzxmzx Member Posts: 151
    Great idea! Thirty bucks for a lifetime membership is just incredible! Though, it will depend of the quality of the content if your database will be a success. Good luck with your project! :D
  • giacomopoppigiacomopoppi Member, PRO Posts: 914
    Oh, i didn't read the paid part of it. I think it should be free, just to help the community.
    I know that Tshirt is making his site free.
    ;)
    Thanks mzx I will be looking forward to your participation on the site! :D the database will be huge and we hope to get it up and running asap! I will provide a signup link soon and we will get the site up and running in no time!
  • iDeveloperiDeveloper Member Posts: 441
    Neat! For payment processors please include PayPal and AlertPay!
    Paypal will definitely be included as well as some others.
    Any other payment types I need to involve other than paypal and credit card?
  • iDeveloperiDeveloper Member Posts: 441
    Not really, but there are tons of different payment processors out there. Such as Liberty Reserve, Perfect Money, E-Gold, etc. But it's all up to you.

Glad I helped!
    Thanks iDev I'll be looking forward to seeing you on the signup list!
    The website is under construction and I will be adding payment options to it so we can have signups started. Thanks everyone who is supporting the site! You wont regret the small investment.
    http://idevarena.jimdo.com/membership/

The iDev Arena site is now live for membership sign ups! Keep in mind that we haven't uploaded our material for the site yet, right now it is just the membership sign up page. We will be officially launching the site Friday, November 12 and at that point prices will go up so if you sign up today you will get a major discount. (If you sign up between today and Nov. 12 your membership wont start until launch day of the site, don't worry you wont be "ripped off")

For those of you that haven't heard of the iDev Arena, it is a site I have created to be the ULTIMATE developer resource site. Here are some of the features:

Over 2,000 sound files
    Over 1,500 image files
    200-300 files added every week
    A forum to discuss games, ideas, and anything else with other devs
    Beta testing area to test your games with other people/devices
    Dev pages to promote your business even more
    Instructional videos on creating images
    Instructional videos on marketing apps
    Instructional videos on how to present your app to the App Store
    and MUCH more coming soon!

This is a once-in-a-lifetime deal and you will never find more resources in a single place than at iDev Arena. Prices start at just $10.00 for an entire year of usage or $30.00 for a whole lifetime pass! Everything pays for itself and you end up gaining back money very quickly because there is so much content and valuable resources on the site to use. If you want to learn more about what is being offered on the site visit this link:

http://idevarena.jimdo.com/membership/help/

Thanks in advance to all of you who are in support of the site! I know we had a lot of great feedback when we unveiled it earlier today so we look forward to getting a lot of members. Help us make the site successful and we will make sure you are rewarded with the best resources we can possibly offer!

http://idevarena.jimdo.com/membership/
    Anyone want to join in on the fun? We are looking for members and this will be the cheapest we offer our services! I know every game developer, small or large, could use a huge library of developer resources. If you would like some samples let me know and I will post them up on the site. Please sign up asap so we can get this site rolling!
  • quantumsheepquantumsheep Member Posts: 8,188

Dr. Sam Beckett never returned home...
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Quantum_Sheep
    Web: https://quantumsheep.itch.io

• gazjmgazjm Member Posts: 578
    quantumsheep said:

I don't know if I'm thinking of what your referring to, but if it is then, hahahahaha.
    That seems really off topic. Lets get back on track, the site has members coming in already so if you want your spot in the ultimate developer resource website be sure to get signed up today!
  • patrick6987patrick6987 Member Posts: 66
    Hi All Just want to say hello first and to wish Surgeapps all the best in this, and that i'm looking forward to seeing what you have got on offer as ive had to sign up for the lifetime membership at that introductory price "what a Bargain and timesaver "
    Thanks for helping spread the word and for signing up Patrick! We really appreciate your membership signup and look forward to having you and others on the site for launch day! We are still looking for more members so head over to www.idevarena.jimdo.com/membership to get in on the fun!
  • quantumsheepquantumsheep Member Posts: 8,188
    SurgeApps said:
    That seems really off topic. Lets get back on track, the site has members coming in already so if you want your spot in the ultimate developer resource website be sure to get signed up today!

Ok, sorry to you and patrick if that was off topic. Let's get on topic, shall we?
    SurgeApps said:
    Over 2,000 sound files
    Over 1,500 image files
    200-300 files added every week
    A forum to discuss games, ideas, and anything else with other devs
    Beta testing area to test your games with other people/devices
    Dev pages to promote your business even more
    Instructional videos on creating images
    Instructional videos on marketing apps
    Instructional videos on how to present your app to the App Store
    and MUCH more coming soon!

Can you assure those joining your site that the sound and image files are royalty free? If they are, are you making them yourself, or procuring them from another site?
    If it's the former, can you show us samples so that we can judge for ourselves if it's worth the investment. If it's the latter, then what exactly are you offering for the money asked if we can get them elsewhere?
    Or have you paid someone to make these images/sounds for you to give away? If so, again, a sample would be appreciated.

You mention 2-300 files being added weekly. That's great. What guarantees do you give for their quality? Will they (or indeed any of the files) be exclusive to your site (i.e. - will people only be able to get these particular files from you.

If they're of good quality, and exclusive, then there may be some value here.

The forums and beta testing stuff are services offered elsewhere by many others. What makes your offering stand out from the crowd?

Promotional Dev pages would only work if the site attracted a lot of visitors. Can you share your plans to bring traffic to your site? How will this be measured?

The videos sound good. Are you making these yourself?
    If so, what successful apps have you had on the app store that would validate the content of said videos. If they're not videos made by you, whose are they, do you have permission to host them, and what would be the benefit of paying to see them if they're available elsewhere?

You say 'much more' coming soon. I've visited your site. As it stands, it's mainly a shell, with the only really functioning part the one that takes money from people. Where are the examples of the content people can expect to be privy to?

There are plenty of people on these forums selling shovels - and good luck to them! But at least most will show you the damn shovels before asking you to part with your cash.

Now, was that on-topic enough for you?

I look forward to your reply.

QS :D

Dr. Sam Beckett never returned home...
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Quantum_Sheep
    Web: https://quantumsheep.itch.io

• patrick6987patrick6987 Member Posts: 66
    Hi Regards the above no "sorry" needed to me from you quantum your comments are more than true and to be honest i can not see everything happening as planned for surgeapps (regards the added files each week) he is broadcasting out big expectations (but good luck to him honestly) although i am quite good at photoshop myself and have logic on my mac i still think as i am getting into this seriously (hopefully to make a living) just over £20 is better than not bad, and i have lost a hell of a lot more than that in my time sadly, I just wanted to wish him well as i do for you, but your comments are well justified
    also good luck with " Gravitrix " also that sol-alpha demo has a lot of promise
  • Rob2Rob2 Member Posts: 2,402
    still selling Apple beta firmware for $5? ....your track record does not inspire confidence I'm afraid.

Sorry to be so negative but I am getting really bored, neh sick and ucking tired of seeing some new idea for monetising this community every time I log on.
  • forkliftforklift Member Posts: 386
    You mean I get to pay for something that doesn't exist yet? This is awesome!

No, no it's not.

Make something. Make it good. Then you get money.
  • DhondonDhondon Member Posts: 717
    Does this include the beta version of AnimusX Engine? :)

I like the idea of the site , but don't sell it before its ready.
    And the address seems a bit amateurish.
    Maybe pay 5 euros a month and get an descent domain?
  • scitunesscitunes Member, Sous Chef Posts: 4,047
    dhondon said:
    Does this include the beta version of AnimusX Engine? :)

God I hope so!

:)