Angry Birds Developer: "You Don't Need Publishers"

chuckychucky Member Posts: 13
I thought this article was very interesting, considering the current state of affairs.

Cheers

Comments

• butterbeanbutterbean Member Posts: 4,315
    Very good article!

Of course they don't need a publisher anymore, especially after the success of Angry Birds, they have put themselves on the map.

But overall, I agree, and it should be a "choice" to have a publisher

( I need to fix that broken record of mine :)
  • RattleheadRattlehead Member Posts: 485
    The fact that Rovio wasn't included in the sale is probably why Chillingo was worth only $20M and not $420M.

It definitely sets a precedent that probably more developers are going to follow.
  • DhondonDhondon Member Posts: 717
    Yes, you dont need publishers. That why GS is forcing you into it. Nice:)
  • IntelligentDesignerIntelligentDesigner Member Posts: 517
    The app store is the only publisher you need...

And there are ways around that
  • jweaver911jweaver911 Member Posts: 439
    I don't WANT a publisher....like Gamesalad.

That's why I purchased Corona a few days ago. It's shaping up to be a good investment too. Lua is really not that scary.
  • HunnenkoenigHunnenkoenig Member Posts: 1,173
    It would be nice to see, when they got a contract with chillingo and when it started to become the best selling app.

Angry Birds was released in December 2009 and started getting big in Februar 2010.

I don't know about everybody else, but if I hear Angry Birds, I associate Chillingo the very same moment, and not Rovio or Roxio or whatever they are called.

You don't need a publisher, but you are probably better served with one.

Chillingo can make things, you will never be able to do and they have the money to market your game in ways, you can only dream about.

If people hear that Chillingo has left a fart, they run and buy it. If they hear, you have left a fart, nobody cares.

Look at their other apps. They struggle on the last places without chillingo.

It is easy to talk big about no needing a publisher, after chillingo made the whole work for them.

It's just BS and absolutely immoral.
    I hope, chillingo was smart enough and they had a clause in their contract about talking BS about eachother after the contract is running out.
  • CapCap Member Posts: 225
    Hunnenkoenig said:
    It is easy to talk big about no needing a publisher, after chillingo made the whole work for them.

Absolutely right. I'm not saying you absolutely need a publisher, but the devs of Angry Birds were better off with one, that's for sure.
  • vegasmike1vegasmike1 Member Posts: 192
    A word of caution, at first a publisher will take almost anything, music, games, books, but only when they are not known. So far GS is not really known as a publisher. Making games and doing it all yourself, is not a dream today, it is a reality. Having a publisher might be a good thing if the publisher can shake the trees on your behalf.

The problem comes into play when the publisher decides what to take on and what to reject, not always are publishers right, but they get into that thing where the pick and choose. When Sylvester Stallone tried to publish his efforts almost everyone turned him down. Finally after all that rejection he made what is now arguably a icon movie ROCKY, so if a publisher turns you down, you just need an alternative to the rejection. being able to self publish is a good thing and Apple supports that.

However all that drivel said, we still dont know whats going to happen, hopefully soon we will know.