ORBZ Logic and Math Services

ORBZORBZ Member Posts: 1,304
Are you having a particularly hard time solving some programming or math challenge, or just want to implement something that you've seen in a demo into one of your games but are stuck on the math or logic? I can be of service: $100 + $100/hr.

20 years programming expert.

Contact me soul@orbz.com (not my PayPal address)

:)

Comments

• DimensionGamesDimensionGames PRO Posts: 993
    Will do :D
  • FanStudioUKFanStudioUK Member Posts: 459
    Wow, this is a very good idea..but this means that from now on you won't help us with small tips? :D
  • ORBZORBZ Member Posts: 1,304
    tshirtbooth said:
    Im sure he will. Coding and math take time. He needs to get paid for that time. I would think the more jobs he can get paid for the more small stuff he will be able to donate.

Yes, exactly.
  • keekee312keekee312 Member Posts: 91
    100$ per hour ? even in high position jobs they earn less money per hour ... sorry but I think it's just ridiculous and swindling... but the idea is good
  • DevilsDevils Member Posts: 561
    @KeeKee312 you don't have to use his services there are others here who would be interested.
  • expired_012expired_012 Member Posts: 1,802
    @keekee312, I think the price is just about right. Are you saying that programming is not a high position because it really is. The average programmer makes around $84,000 a year
    And if you knew orbz at all, you would know that he can do things that no other GS member would think is possible! Companies spend thousands, and sometimes millions to develop games, and those are the ones that are at the top
  • BarkBarkCoBarkBarkCo Member Posts: 1,400
    keekee312 said:
    100$ per hour ? even in high position jobs they earn less money per hour ... sorry but I think it's just ridiculous and swindling... but the idea is good

High? Really? My company charges $250-$350 hourly for development services....this is not that different.
  • Player_EPlayer_E Member, PRO Posts: 604
    its simple supply and demand.

The demand for math skills right now with GS is pretty high as good math skills are required to make a game function and run smoothly.

Right now ORBZ is the market supplier (he seems to be the math guru around these parts), so he can charge $100 until someone else steps in and says they will provide the service for say $50.

not swindling at all, but adjusting his prices to meet the market supply and demand equilibrium.

Can you tell I'm taking micro and macro econ courses at the moment :)
  • jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408
    Yea, $100 per hour is a pretty good rate. You never want to undersell your skills.
  • firemaplegamesfiremaplegames Member Posts: 3,211
    $100/hour is cheap. Like BarkBarkCo, the company I work for charges a few hundred dollars an hour for delevopment. The company I work for is in Philadelphia, that number is actually much higher here in NYC.
  • vegasmike1vegasmike1 Member Posts: 192
    I think if you add YOUR time to the equation at some value of banging your head on the desk, then the price is different. Say you solve the issue in 5 hours and you value your time at 20 dollars and hour, so there is a 100 bucks. Now consider that you lost 5 hours of art time or sound time or other code time. The price becomes even cheaper. Let ORBZ do some math, that is what he does with GS and move on, of course the price is very high if you have no money to spend, at which point you get to make a hobby out of the effort and spend whatever time you want NOT solving the problem. Bottom line, his price is DIRT CHEAP.
  • RattleheadRattlehead Member Posts: 485
    As the n'th gazillion post stating the same thing, I concur:

ORBZ is cheap.

Oh wait. That may not have came across very well...

In all seriousness, review the work he has done and determine if you believe he can add value to your project. All projects need to look at that simple formula as to whether services rendered + price tag = value.
  • JelJel Member Posts: 319
    See that someone with the skills of tshirtbooth still need help makes me feel better. I was thinking of sending firemaplegames an email regarding my next project but seeing that ORBZ is now offer his expert services I might have to take him up on it.
    Also, I do trade. So if you are an amazing artist we can work out a trade.
  • keekee312keekee312 Member Posts: 91
    Thanks for all your answers, You see ORBZ, I make advertising for you ;)
    Well, he seems to be good (I think he's good actually) but I would never pay hundreads $ for a GS app, that's it.. I mean in GS you will never win as big companies do (first, they don't really use GS hmm..) so it's a lost investment (this is what I think) but if you think it can be good for your business then go ahead.. I would share what I won with the person who helped me, that is more fair I think with money as added value for the dev work...

PS : ORBZ I'm not trying to destroy your business or whatever, I hope you'll get money with that, it's just that at first sight I was a bit convulsed by the idea-price whatever.. I'm one of this guys who likes sharing knowledge, I mean for free but I understand that (I don't how to say it in english cause I'm french) but in France we say "each work is worthy of a right income"

In American dream I trust ;)
  • TymeMasterTymeMaster Member Posts: 527
    ORBZ said:
    Are you having a particularly hard time solving some programming or math challenge, or just want to implement something that you've seen in a demo into one of your games but are stuck on the math or logic? I can be of service: $100 + $100/hr.

20 years programming expert.

Contact me soul@orbz.com (not my PayPal address)

:)

Hi ORBZ, can you post your resume or portfolio? Thanks!

I may have some work for you with a client, but they will need to see your qualifications/resume!
    Hi Tyme,

I'm not looking for a job. Nor am I looking to build someone else's game. You can send me an email explaining the problem he's having and I'll tell you if I'm interested.

• TymeMasterTymeMaster Member Posts: 527
    You are looking for work, what else is this post for? lol

Its a real job, but they are not willing to pay someone without seeing what they are getting. Its odd that you are advertising services but do not want to show your work. This is standard stuff, do you think my clients hire me without seeing proof of my past work? Of course not.

Its cool, I understand, you really don't want to make money and are just kinda telling people to leave you alone.

PS: Sorry but I can't tell you anything without you signing an NDA :(

Edit: I will say that it involves physics similar to a pinball machine. I'm not even sure its possible with GS, thats why I would ask you. But they would need an NDA (not me, I would give them your email).
  • BarkBarkCoBarkBarkCo Member Posts: 1,400
    @Tyme, picking fights again? ;-)

ORBZ is more than just a math reference, he's a great problem solver. That has been proved time and time again with the demos he's posted and questions he's answered. It's one thing to understand math, it's another to know when/how to apply that knowledge.
  • rdcuberdcube Member Posts: 361
    @Orbz,
    Does this means you'll no longer post more 'demos' for free? :(
    @rdcube,

I'll still post demos for free. :)

@Tyme,

Thnk you for your offer. I'm not interested in a job. This thread is about offering to help people on small one-off problems that are holding developers back on their game, for a small fee. Small problems that don't take very long. A win-win. I do not wish to busy myself with huge projects that take weeks or months. This sounds like your friend wants me to make his game for him. I am sure your friend can find someone else.

I will sign reasonable NDA's.
    Also, this guy: ToastKitten -- he's really good at math too! He helped me solve something I've been struggling with for a while :)
  • DevilsDevils Member Posts: 561
    @Tyme all they have to do if they are really interested in seeing what he can do is check out his profile here on GS, since they are trying to get a GS game done that should be enough proof.