Question for "Successful" GS users

Player_EPlayer_E Member, PRO Posts: 604
I have been thinking lately about an idea that would involve having a successful app that generates decent income, so I go to those of you who have such an app.

Have you ever thought about taking earnings from you app and paying someone to put it into actual code and adding features such as game center?

I had this idea and thought that if someone were to pay an outside source to code their game it shouldn't cost more than $2,000 and i'm sure it would bring great benefits with the added features.

Comments

• butterbeanbutterbean Member Posts: 4,315
    If you're going to "outsource" your programming, and looking for someone in the U.S, you will be spending upwards of 10K, unless you can find someone that's really hurting, and looking for money. Make sure you don't pay up front, and pay in milestones, when the app is 1/3 done, halfway done, and complete.

You can also outsource your programming to outside of the U.S at a discount, but make sure to read reviews, get really good references, and again, don't pay up front.

You would be looking at somewhere around the 2-3K range to outsource programming in other countries.

Make sure you have a hit title on your hands! I would really study the market before venturing into dropping that kind of money into an app though

Try websites like Guru.com to find people to program your game :)

Good luck!
    tshirtbooth said:
    To get a basic game coded can cost from 10000 to 25000 or more. I'll just keep my cash and wait for gamesalad to catch up :)

IF you look in the right places, you can find cheaper, but it's like shopping at "Ross", you've gotta' dig through the crap to find that diamond in the rough :)
  • Player_EPlayer_E Member, PRO Posts: 604
    @ butterbean, What I meant was make a game on GS and if it is successful then find someone to convert it into code so you can add said features.

Hmm didnt think it was really that expensive. I actually go to a college where there is a class focused on xcode and making apps. I am not enrolled in this class, but I was thinking maybe talk to a few students that are and i'm sure they would be happy to do it for a "cheaper" budget.
    Player_E said:
    @ butterbean, What I meant was make a game on GS and if it is successful then find someone to convert it into code so you can add said features.

Hmm didnt think it was really that expensive. I actually go to a college where there is a class focused on xcode and making apps. I am not enrolled in this class, but I was thinking maybe talk to a few students that are and i'm sure they would be happy to do it for a "cheaper" budget.

Depends on what you're looking for in terms of a "professionally made app" versus a "student project"

If you want a student to do your app, you could get it in stores, but will it be polished, bug free, and well made? Depends on what you're looking to do, if you just want to get an app in the store, and aren't fussy about quality, then have a student do one.

If you're looking to make some money, and earn some income, and start your own brand, then you want someone with experience, and a professional, with references.

With looking at some students, you may find that "Diamond in the rough" so to speak, but I doubt your going to find anyone who has published good titles, nor has a real good feel for the app store.

This is a good place to start, but Gamesalad will not allow you to alter an app via xcode, so it would have to be re-coded all over again if you choose to go the xcode route.

Good luck!
  • debugdesigndebugdesign Member Posts: 886
    I paid $2000 to an Indian offshore company and although the game is good it never made the money back...

The appstore is a gamble, sometimes you win, sometimes you don't :)
  • AfterBurnettAfterBurnett Member Posts: 3,474
    And you can't really state "it costs $2000". Some might, others will cost a hell of a lot more. An advanced shooter or racing game is going to take a lot longer to code than a simple taptard game. And if it's a physics based game, that could get VERY expensive... luckily GS handles physics for us ;-)

Personally, I don't see the point in remaking a GS game. If the game isn't good enough in GS, why would recreating it in native code and adding a couple of features make it any better?

I say stick within the limitations of GS and get creative ;-) And have patience. I'm sure we'll get Game Center etc... probably a lot sooner than it would be if you waited for your game to be coded!
  • BarkBarkCoBarkBarkCo Member Posts: 1,400
    POLYGAMe said:
    Personally, I don't see the point in remaking a GS game. If the game isn't good enough in GS, why would recreating it in native code and adding a couple of features make it any better?

Ask jonbeebe.... ;-)
  • AfterBurnettAfterBurnett Member Posts: 3,474
    Oh... good point. Consider my words eaten. LOL.