Unity gets a big boost by Electronic Arts

BeyondtheTechBeyondtheTech Member Posts: 809
edited November -1 in Non-GS Game News
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/30571/EA_Signs_Broad_Multiyear_License_For_Unity_Development_Platform.php

http://techcrunch.com/2010/09/22/ea-unity/

For those who also have or want Unity for 3D game development, this is some interesting news.
Electronic Arts today announced it's purchased a multi-year enterprise license from Unity Technologies that "enables every EA studio and developer across the globe full access to the entire range of Unity products from web and mobile to consoles and beyond."

The company promised "a number of titles are in development" using Unity technology and that they plan to "utilize the Unity development platform across multiple franchises and genres."

Unity will coincidentally be releasing version 3.0 of their engine next week.

Comments

• TymeMasterTymeMaster Member Posts: 527
    Thats one reason why I went pro with Unity, not because of EA, but because of what features are coming down the pipe. In addition, right now, I can write code once and target both iPhone and Android.

In addition, I am real good at 3D modeling! So even when making 2D games with Unity, I render all my art because I can't draw! And Unity loads Collada or FBX drag-n-drop, including animations! I can play in Blender making animations, save it as FBX, drop it into my scene and there it goes.
  • PhoticsPhotics Member Posts: 4,172
    BeyondtheTech said:
    Unity will coincidentally be releasing version 3.0 of their engine next week.

So, it looks like I get to play this game again.

Recently, I think it might have been just last week, I decided not to get Corona. I missed out on the sale. Will history repeat itself? Will I pass on the $300 sale for Unity 3D?

...which already has some Game Center support
    ...and iAds
    ...and no annoying logo on the loading screen
    ...and hyperlinks
    ...and a lot of other stuff

...but it's not easier to use!
    TymeMaster said:
    In addition, right now, I can write code once and target both iPhone and Android.

...for a mere $3000.
    ...but you get a free Android phone.
    C# or Unityscript (javascript) is not hard at all.

Pretty much to get started you look here:
    http://www.unifycommunity.com/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page
  • iDeveloperiDeveloper Member Posts: 441
    I hope this next update of GS is worth it, at least with the refactored scene-graph.
    TymeMaster said:
    Pretty much to get started you look here:
    http://www.unifycommunity.com/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

I lost interest at the word "Wiki". HA HA!
    ...or it might have been at the "435 articles" part.
    Photics said:

...for a mere $3000.
    ...but you get a free Android phone.

Nope :) Android Pro is 1500 (and Unity Pro 1500) would be 3000! But, in a couple weeks Unity is coming out with an Android Indie version for the same price as the iPhone Indie version (300-400).

So I will stick with Unity Pro + iPhone Advanced, and buy Android Basic when its out after 3.0 is released.
    Photics said:
    I lost interest at the word "Wiki". HA HA!
    ...or it might have been at the "435 articles" part.

Click the link, then click "Scripts" on the left. That list of scripts, plus the sample projects, are more than enough to start someone up.
    TymeMaster said:
    Nope :)

Don't tell me nope. I quoted you. Clearly the words "right now" were used. You edited your post. HA HA! :)

$600-$800 for software that you permanently own (right?) and has so many features, is much better than what Gendai Games is offering.
    Photics said:
    Don't tell me nope. I quoted you. Clearly the words "right now" were used. You edited your post. HA HA! :)

$600-$800 for software that you permanently own (right?) and has so many features, is much better than what Gendai Games is offering.

Right, I pay once and I am done.

So basically I started with:
    Unity Indie (which is free now) + iPhone Basic (I paid $400)

Now I upgraded for $2100 to:
    Unity Pro + iPhone Advanced

I pay nothing else forever.

Android Pro is 1500 (with a free Nexus one if you buy it this week). But the Unity folks announced that there will be a Android Basic for around $400.

So the cheapest package you can get for iPhone + Droid is $800, one time fee. And yeah, you can run all the add-ons (in app purchase, GameCenter,etc).

Edit: When I said right now, I meant that if I wanted to buy Andorid module it is available (pro one). In other words Android is not something they are thinking of doing, they have already done it :)
  • StusAppsStusApps Member, PRO Posts: 1,352
    @TymeMaster

So you have made your decision then?

I thought you said you were deciding whether to go with Unity or GS for your next titles. I assume spending $2100 is making that decision to go with unity. Well, very best of luck. I've never seen you on the unity forums though.

EDIT **Just read your other thread that kinda answers some of this**
    @StusApps - I haven't registered for the Unity Forums yet.
  • ginnixginnix Member Posts: 41
    Unity 3.0 has just been released, I purchased the iPhone version. From some testing, it is very fast and not that hard to use.

Check it out
    http://unity3d.com/
    Yep, now that 3.0 is out, and I have pro (plus iPhone advanced and droid next), I am going to go finish up my projects and have some fun with all the new features. Woohoo!
  • ChunkypixelsChunkypixels Member Posts: 1,114
    I just updated my Unity(iphone basic) to 3.0 and had a quick play. Looks very nice... I just need to get some time away from contract gigs to put some proper time into it, and build a game.

I honestly think its a much more robust and feature packed engine/editor than GameSalad, and can easily do 2D games.... but theres just no getting away from it, GameSalad is still much easier to use, and quicker to get something built.

I do think Gendai are in danger of shooting themselves in the foot though. Theres a lot of good competition out there, currently offering far more for a lot less, if users are willing to put in the extra effort.

I just wish Gendai could get their house in order, and be a bit more open with us...
  • ShpintShpint Member Posts: 404
    Chunkypixels said:
    I just wish Gendai could get their house in order, and be a bit more open with us...

+1