how can you protect your game in the forum?

POMPOM Member Posts: 2,599
hey guys, im currently in the graphic stage of my game, and i hope ill finish it in about 3 weeks
i want to post screen-shots, title name and even have some beta testers,
but my big concern is how can i know no one will steal my game idea? or my title? or my art?
i mean, for example , synthesis! you posted a beta off S.W.A.T. (which looks amazing )
and every thing is exposed, dont you worry?!
i hope one of you will calm my worries about it cause i spent about 4 month (and counting)
for this project and i want to do all the advertising above with serenity ;)
(sorry for my english )

Comments

• expired_012expired_012 Member Posts: 1,802
    Post screenshots when the game is in review or when it actually hits the store..just to be safe.
  • chosenonestudioschosenonestudios Member Posts: 1,714
    You can reserve your name in the appstore. All you have to do is submit your game without the binary. When your ready to submit, insert the binary and bam your done. I think you can only reserve your name for 30 days now though.

I'm not sure about what others are doing, buuuuuut, its highly unlikely for someone to steal your art and submit your game before you, or your idea.

If you want to be safe, start announcing and showing art and gameplay and beta testing one week before you submit. Then no one can beat you to it.
  • AfterBurnettAfterBurnett Member Posts: 3,474
    Dude, anyone with enough talent to make a decent game isn't going to steal yours. If someone does steal it, it will be because they have no ideas or talent and it will be crap anyway ;-)

It's when your game is live and doing well that you have to worry about rip-offs and clones. People don't tend to steal something that hasn't proven itself yet.

I wouldn't go posting the whole project online here, though. LOL.
  • AfterBurnettAfterBurnett Member Posts: 3,474
    POLYGAMe said:
    Dude, anyone with enough talent to make a decent game isn't going to steal yours.

Haha, I just re-read my post and it could be easily misunderstood... I'm not saying your game isn't worth stealing (haven't even seen it). I'm saying that no matter how good your game is, it's highly unlikely it will get nicked by someone with decent ability unless it starts to sell well. Hehe, hope that was clearer. Good luck with the game, too!

On a side note... I'm being a little apprehensive about posting shots of my own game, too... JUST IN CASE. LOL.
  • tenrdrmertenrdrmer Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 9,934
    chosenonestudios said:
    You can reserve your name in the appstore. All you have to do is submit your game without the binary. When your ready to submit, insert the binary and bam your done. I think you can only reserve your name for 30 days now though.

It's 120 days.
    90 days and then they give you a 30 day deadline if you haven't submitted yet.
    @p-o-m
    This has actually been a big concern of mine too. I haven't brought myself to do it but i would say at the very least you probably should reserve your name before you announce it. And honestly I don't think you prob have to worry about most of the GS community as they all seem pretty cool about stuff like that. It's more the people who just browse this forum that i worry about.
  • POMPOM Member Posts: 2,599
    Thank you all guys a lot! so i guess ill post info only when its completely complete !
    and then i need to trust the forum members reliability..
    what about BETA testers, any tips on how it works?!
    p-o-m said:
    Thank you all guys a lot! so i guess ill post info only when its completely complete !
    and then i need to trust the forum members reliability..
    what about BETA testers, any tips on how it works?!

You just have to find someone willing to test (not just play) your game. They gotta be able to play it enough to notice bugs and they gotta be willing to do all that. then you just have to send them the complied app and a provisioning profile you create using all of the beta testers device ID's that you input from their UDID they give you. and then if your tester uses Windows for Itunes they will need to be smart enough to use the iphone config utility as its not as easy to put your test apps into windows itunes
  • LedgeLedge Member Posts: 10
    Great info!