Unreal Engine SDK coming for iOS

BeyondtheTechBeyondtheTech Member Posts: 809
edited November -1 in Non-GS Game News
It's about to get even more crowded in the iOS platform development scene.

http://gizmodo.com/5637948/the-development-kit-behind-epic-citadel-coming-for-ios-apps

Looks like that awesome 3D engine used to make the incredible Epic Citadel demo previewed at the last keynote will be available for development for iOS devices first, eventually followed by Android.

Comments

• DhondonDhondon Member Posts: 717
    So glad I can do lowpoly 3D. Been playing with UDK, and its fantastic. Looking forward to the next release:)
  • TymeMasterTymeMaster Member Posts: 527
    Good luck with that, you guys are crying about $300 for Unity, wait till you see what UDK costs (I think 99 bucks per title, plus royalties). Oh, and its not drag-n-drop, so you better start learning to program! Oh yeah, its also not a 2d engine (neither is Unity), so you will do 2D with 3D quads. I'm not saying UDK isn't good, I'm just saying the majority of people in this forum couldn't use it.
  • scitunesscitunes Member, Sous Chef Posts: 4,047
    TM, we get it. you hate GS. I need to learn to code. blah blah blah...
  • TymeMasterTymeMaster Member Posts: 527
    I don't hate GS, I'm looking into using it for future 2D games because I was told it would have a faster develop time than Unity. As soon as I finish my current Unity game, I will give GS a more serious try. What turns me off about it is mainly the lack of GameCenter, and peer-to-peer, to a lesser extent iad.

UDK is powerful too, I just make the comment because the majority of people here could not use it. Its also going to be more expensive than GS, or Unity.

The only engine I think is useless is Corona.
  • HunnenkoenigHunnenkoenig Member Posts: 1,173
    I like the fact, how everybody is "aaah" and "ooh" about Epic Citadel, although there is nothing behind it, just very good and extended modeling work, which must have had cost tremendous time and/or manpower.

It's a simple low poly modeling, with baked shadows and textures from rendered high poly models.

Nothing special.

Sure, it looks good, but everybody could make such a demo with any engine, if he invest enough time into it.

A friend of mine, who is working with the professional paid Unreal Engine in game development for the biggest hungarian gamestudio told me, that it is a mess and one of the worst engines, he has ever seen. I don't know...I'm just telling, what he said.
  • DevilsDevils Member Posts: 561
    I'm sorry to say but your friend must be crazy. This engine is a great powerful engine is one of the biggest engines out there. I know I've used it a while back epic had a contest that I tried to win with a few friends. It will be expensive but that one good engine its been used to make great xbox 360 game. I think it will do great with iOS also.
  • HunnenkoenigHunnenkoenig Member Posts: 1,173
    Devils: I don't talk about dumbed down free to use versions for the modding scene.

I talk about the latest, professional version wich costs around a million or more dollars. I don't think, you were able to use it.

He was talking about toolsets and management and implementation, not about displaying graphics.

Every second grade university student can program an engine to display graphics.

I remember having read a few times on the web, how companies had issues with unreal development and therefore they couldn't come along with their development and they complained.

But you are right. It doesn't matter. People will use it anyway. I just wanted to point out, that an unreal engine will not automatically make you a game in a quality of Epic Citadel. An engine is an engine. It can draw what you created on the display. It doesn't turn crappy models into high quality assets.

Epic Citadel is still a low poly scene crafted very smart, but who understands 3D modeling, recognizes immediately where they cheated.

Those cheats you could use in any other engine too.
  • VmlwebVmlweb Member Posts: 427
    Will Unreal Tournament be ported?
    Will Killing Floor be ported?
    Will all those other great Unreal Engine games be ported?

We'll just have to wait and see