educational games

grubdubgrubdub Member Posts: 8
please forgive the 'newbie' ness of my post .... but thats what i am :-)

is it possible to make an educational game with gamesalad ... based upon the corect answering of questions ?

Im only interested in simple questions with a yes or no answer ... which i assume could be saved in a variable ? and then acted upon in the next scene ?

many thanks

shaun

Comments

• PhoticsPhotics Member Posts: 4,172
    GameSalad can be used for more than just games. I made Photics: Toolbox with GameSalad. It's a utility suite.

You can make yes or no questions with rules...

If yes, change to scene #1
    Otherwise, play error sound.

The answer to that choice could be saved with the "Change Attribute" behavior. If you're making a True or False test, you could make a summary at the end of the test.
  • grubdubgrubdub Member Posts: 8
    Thank you,

im very very new.. to the world of gaming, is there any way i can employ a mentor on gamesalad to assist me with my project ?

shaun
  • RHRH Member Posts: 1,079
    I honestly doubt you will need one, there are plenty of tutorials and demos online. There's also the GameSalad Wiki.

Usually if you get stuck and post on the forums everyone is willing to help out as well.

What you are trying to do is more than possible, and probably rather easy depending on how many questions/ answers you need.

Good luck!
    grubdub said:
    im very very new.. to the world of gaming, is there any way i can employ a mentor on gamesalad to assist me with my project ?

You might want to look at the The Unofficial GameSalad Textbook. It could help you learn to use the software. It explains the process of creating a GameSalad game from start to finish.
    Thank you all very much

shaun
    "You might want to look at the The Unofficial GameSalad Textbook. It could help you learn to use the software. It explains the process of creating a GameSalad game from start to finish."

Photics: can i buy this in itunes ?
    grubdub said:
    Photics: can i buy this in itunes ?

It would be more expensive if it was available in iTunes store.

You can order a PDF copy through http://photics.com and then you can use the iTunes software to put the book on your iBooks capable iOS device.
  • MotherHooseMotherHoose Member Posts: 2,456
    Welcome to GS, Shaun!

as you play around and try things in GS you will find it does a lot of good things.

Generally, before you invest in a pdf and get inundated with information not pertinent to your projects or skill level, I would recommend that you explore the support section and the many free videos on youTube especially:

the gendai games channel

and make a very small project while you learn!
    and there is the great Note behavior...so make lots of notes to yourself in each Actor...

Enjoy!
    MH
  • MotherHooseMotherHoose Member Posts: 2,456
    Ah...tshirtbooth...I wasn't slighting you...tshirtbooth's got the best vids going... so much help...

I was just trying to steer a newbie in the right direction for starting!

also...how come you are out here on the boards...and not in there on the beta?

MH
  • dknelldknell Member Posts: 48
    @grubdub

I created "Little Game Show" in GameSalad. It has over 70 multiple choice questions. I rewrote it a number of times, but ended up creating one scene for every question because there was no clean way to organize data (like arrays). Maybe there is a better way to do this, but I couldn't figure it out. In each scene, I used a bunch of if/else statements like Photics mentioned - not very DRY (Don't Repeat Yourself). When all was said and done, the performance was pretty poor. I need to rewrite it again and figure out a better way to do this because dealing with that many scenes in GS is a pain and sluggish.

Anyway, my point is - yes, it's possible to create quiz type games with GS, but you should try to have the questions and answers load dynamically (if possible) and avoid using LOTS of scenes because you end up with a lot of duplicate code which makes it very cumbersome if you need to make a small change - like adding a fourth choice.

Dave
    Thank you all very much

shaun