Goodbye $499 Indie. Hello $99 Express!

superNESsuperNES Member Posts: 166
edited November -1 in News from the Dev Team
Hi everyone! As you may have heard or seen, we have concluded our Early Access Program. The purpose of the program has been satisfied and we are now rolling out the GameSalad Membership Plan. Gone is the Indie plan. However we are happy to introduce the Express plan which provides equivalent functionality at only $99/yr. This new membership level better reflects our commitment to the idea of "game development for the rest of us," making GameSalad not only the easiest way to make iPhone games, but the most affordable as well. We hope you are as happy with the change as we are. Thanks for your support and let’s make some great games!

http://gamesalad.com/membership/pricing

Comments

• IPHONEGAMERZIPHONEGAMERZ Member Posts: 53
    wow thx so much!! but u will also carry on with the updates right? is it still considered in beta now?
  • superNESsuperNES Member Posts: 166
    GameSalad Creator, the tool will continue receiving updates just as it always has. And yes, the next version will be 0.6, so it is still in beta. All members will be able to take advantage of the new features and improvements in order to roll them into their own games.
    oh ok, do we know at what version the tool will be out of beta?(0.7? 999.1? :) ) and is the 0.6 nearly finished?? I CANT WAIT FOR IT!!!
  • superNESsuperNES Member Posts: 166
    0.6 is very close to release - and it contains some very fun new additions! Beta will be over once we announce 1.0, however there really isn't a whole lot of correlation between the version numbers and when you can expect it out. Unless you happen to have a Sumerian calendar on you...
    :) OMG i cant wait for the release!! already i will not be able to sleep for about 20 days until its my birthday so that i can buy gameslalad and the developer program, and now this!! OMG! i am getting hysterical!
  • shwinstershwinster Member Posts: 23
    I'm so happy, so far i have $90 saved up for gamesalad, only a little more. :)
  • Fafnir312Fafnir312 Member Posts: 161
    This is really cool even though I don't (yet) have an iPhone, but a horrifying thought just occurred to me: Does this mean no more free option? You will keep the free option won't you?

I want to learn the software and become proficient before I pour money into it... and before I go buy an iPhone for the express purpose of making games with GameSalad :D
  • TobyToby Member Posts: 478
    That's great news for everyone.
  • eboyeboy Member Posts: 239
    YES!
  • MankoManko Member Posts: 20
    This is just fantastic. 99$ is a real bargain. Now I only wish professional was cheaper. ;-)
  • JaxterJaxter Member, PRO Posts: 398
    Hmm it is not fear one week ago i spend 500 $ for GS but now is possoble to buy it for 99... hmm 5 times less... is possible that all old indie members can get some compensation?
  • ktfrightktfright Member Posts: 964
    old indie members are now pro members.
  • JaxterJaxter Member, PRO Posts: 398
    mailbox is empty
  • CodeMonkeyCodeMonkey Head Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 1,803
    Don't worry Jaxter, we have a record of who purchased what before the change.
  • Original101Original101 Member Posts: 5
    hi there, GS

I just downloaded the "try it"-version and I have to say I am quite disapointed. I would have expected to have at least some kind of 14 days trial version with no upload options, so I could at least figure out if this is really for me. (It looks easy in the adversing youtube-vid, but it always does in commercials, now doesn't it :)
    but no, it seems like the only thing I can do is paying 99 dollar. It appears a mystery to me why I can't even create a new project....

having said that, can you tell me if I am given a complete (pdf-) manual with the purchase of the basic membership? I really can't find anything about that mentioned anywhere on this site. I don't mind study 500 pages of information about how to use a program, but I have this suspicion that I won't get anywhere with this without such a manual.

thanks for any insights.
  • jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408
    yea, if you're having trouble with the free version, try closing it and reopening it. If that doesn't work, trash it and redownload it.

as tshirtbooth said, with the free version you can do everything the paid version can do except create an iphone project.
  • ValanValan Member, BASIC Posts: 410
    I started with the free version a couple of days ago and I am adapting one of the templates to a game I have been wanting to do for years. Very happy!

I saw the old price and it put me off but the new price seems worth it.